miters on small parts
I assume you are mitering the edges of the inserts. I would build a small table saw sled to work with the blade tipped over at 45.
Like this  64ef89898e2185446822d4f47df5ad5a.jpg
You can set up a stop or just sneak up on a fit. The half used rubber end of a pencil is usually enough to hold onto the parts as you cut them but a simple lever clamp can be screwed into the base of the sled as well.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
The only way I can get it the way I want is to cut it oversize and
then sand it to size using a sled on my table saw equipped
with a sanding disk.
I do all my cabinet door miters that way too, you can adjust
the sled angle and the table saw angle to get it perfect, everytime.
For my small projects, like building model airplanes, I have an ancient Sears tilt-table saw that I've setup with a 4" thin-kerf, 40-tooth, carbide blade. It is extremely heavy and precise.

[Image: sears-saw-1.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-2.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-3.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-4.jpg]
Wood is good. 
I'll give you three ways I do/have done it, all of which have been mentioned already in one way or the other.

1. I have a 45 degree sled (aka a Donkey's Ear) for my saw:
[Image: tbox23.JPG]

2. I have a 45 degree ramp for my miter saw and shooting board, as demonstrated by my son:
[Image: tbox20.JPG]

3. I have done it on the router table, usually with a lock miter bit. When I do, I use a piece of double sided carpet tape to stick a straight piece of MDF square and flush with the surface I am cutting. That way I can run the router bit right up to the pointy, pointy end of the 45 and still have plenty of meat against the fence.
[Image: vindesk41.JPG]

Of the three methods, I usually prefer just doing it with the Donkey's Ear and miter plane for any material less than a quarter inch thick.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!