toilet flange height question
A little background and details first.  in the process of remodeling the upstairs bathroom 

House is about 35 years old   Upstairs bath is two rooms  - one with the tub, toilet and linen closet and the other with vanities and sinks.

Front room used to be carpet which I had tiled over years ago  - back ( tub toilet)  room was tile

Ripped it all out and found the back room had 1 1/4" of concrete poured down for the tile bed.  floor under the concrete is tongue and groove planks (2 x 6's)  Front room is 2x6 T&G also but 1 1/4 inches higher than back room.

I ripped out all the concrete put a layer of 1/2 ply and a layer of 3/4 high which brought it to about level with the front room

Plan to put backer board down and new tile in both rooms.  So my question is the toilet flange.  Should it sit on the tile or should the tile be flush with it?  I google and see both answers. And if it isnt how do I make it so?

Thanks
Robert
(07-09-2021, 12:38 PM)Wipedout Wrote: A little background and details first.  in the process of remodeling the upstairs bathroom 

House is about 35 years old   Upstairs bath is two rooms  - one with the tub, toilet and linen closet and the other with vanities and sinks.

Front room used to be carpet which I had tiled over years ago  - back ( tub toilet)  room was tile

Ripped it all out and found the back room had 1 1/4" of concrete poured down for the tile bed.  floor under the concrete is tongue and groove planks (2 x 6's)  Front room is 2x6 T&G also but 1 1/4 inches higher than back room.

I ripped out all the concrete put a layer of 1/2 ply and a layer of 3/4 high which brought it to about level with the front room

Plan to put backer board down and new tile in both rooms.  So my question is the toilet flange.  Should it sit on the tile or should the tile be flush with it?  I google and see both answers. And if it isnt how do I make it so?

Thanks
Robert

Flush with the tile.
So the top of the flange is flush with top of tile correct?
(07-09-2021, 04:42 PM)Wipedout Wrote: So the top of the flange is flush with top of tile correct?

Put a straight edge on base of toilet and see how much room to where it seals.  They make spacers to raise the flange to proper height.  I thought the flange sat on top of the tile or the spacers could be used if it was too low.    Roly
(07-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Roly Wrote: Put a straight edge on base of toilet and see how much room to where it seals.  They make spacers to raise the flange to proper height.  I thought the flange sat on top of the tile or the spacers could be used if it was too low.    Roly

I installed a American Standard and it was leaking. I replaced the wax seal twice. After the second time, I called them up and they told me the  new toilets need the flange flush with the tile.
I, respectfully, disagree. The toilet flange should sit on top of the finished floor. When I have plumbing questions, I generally rely on this forum:

Terry Love Plumbing Forum
I always put flange on top of the floor, whether it was just concrete or tile.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Either way works for me. Starting from scratch I usually set the flange on top of the Ditra or Wonderboard ( I don't care for Hardi-Backer) and cut the tiles to fit with a 4" diamond wheel or a 7" core bit. If the flange is on top of the tile a standard wax ring is used; If the flange is flush with the tile a thicker ring is needed on most toilets. You have to check the toilet at install to determine a good thickness.  Also, if space is a consideration, including the space behind the tank, you have to check the toilet for rough-in. I put one in yesterday that would have squeezed into a 10" rough. B.T.W. I think it's more important to have solid backing under the sub-floor at the flange to ensure there's always something solid under the throne.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"