my new system of containing dust in the shop
Last week, I had a project that required routing multiple circles in MDF - both through-cuts and grooves.

I've learned to make peace with the fine dust MDF generates. But it’s pretty alarming when I can identify different vintages of MDF from previous projects by the colour of the dust sitting on the shelves.

So I thought creating a smaller, more contained area INSIDE the shop to confine the dust to a specific area might be worth a try. Goodbye fine dust that sticks around forever!

I bought four 8x10 tarps at HD plus threaded hooks to attach the tarps’ grommets to. Then I cut up a scrap piece of particle board to screw to the bottom of my joists and install the hooks to receive the tarps.

The tarp’s grommets aren't uniformly spaced in relation to each other. To be sure the fit would be as snug as possible, I stretched the tarp and held the grommet to mark the exact spot to screw the hooks into the particleboard.

Another challenge is HD’s 8x10 tarps are nowhere near either 8 feet or 10 feet. To make sure I put them up using the same orientation each time, I named the tarp's grommets and hooks on the particle board - A1, A5, B1 etc.

This system couldn't contain everything - MDF dust is extremely light and stays airborne for days - but I must say, it worked great!

As expected, I had to vacuum multiple times throughout the whole time I was working. But just outside the dust containment zone, I swept up less than three tablespoons of dust. Almost zero dust on the shelves. And nothing further into the shop.

All in all, a great success - I hope these pics tell the story.

Attached Files Image(s)

Actually a good idea. Anytime I route MDF I try to do so outside, but that's not always possible. Your approach would at least make it a little more tolerable inside.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred.

I try to do it outside too but Toronto winters are long and we've had tons of rain these past few weeks so I had to just press on.

Let us know if you try it.
Same principle I use when media blasting.  I don't have a cabinet but made a frame out of 1/2" plastic pipe then wrap it in tarps.  I do it outside and hang another tarp behind it to catch anything that escapes.  It's not perfect but it's a whole lot better than not using anything.