Wandering router bits
Hey all.  I’ve gotten a lot of good tips and tricks lurking around here over the years.  Often, if I have an issue or question, I just hit the search box and it’s good.  This one has me a bit stumped (and a bit worried).

I’ve been doing more woodworking lately (approaching retirement age) and several times now I’ve had router bits creep up in the collet as I’m using them and cutting deeper.
I’m using a DeWalt DW618 in a Bench Dog ProTop Portable Router Table.  OK, so not the finest of woodworking tools, but for a weekender like me, it’s done well over the last 20 years.

I’ve gotten into the habit of each time I change a bit, I completely remove the collet chuck and blow out any dust from the collet and the router itself.  I’m not using cheap bits either – most are Whiteside or Freud – and none are in bad shape.  The biggest culprit so far has been hardwoods like rosewood.  I get that vibration can loosen things, and I have also gotten into the habit of stopping every few passes and tightening the collet.  The worst of the bits - a Whitedside's 1/8" straight bit.

I get things get old and wear out, but there’s not a lot of mileage on my setup (compared to most of you out there), but is this normal?  The only thing that’s changed lately is I’m doing more work in hard exotics versus my usual oak.  I can’t back the piece out, and it seems pretty unsafe to hold it in place while I hunt for the switch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
What you have not said is how tight is the collet when you begin? Crank it down. Can’t be too tight.
Replace the collet.
Wood is good. 
(07-12-2021, 06:59 PM)NickNC Wrote: Hey all.  I’ve gotten a lot of good tips and tricks lurking around here over the years.  Often, if I have an issue or question, I just hit the search box and it’s good.  This one has me a bit stumped (and a bit worried).

I’ve been doing more woodworking lately (approaching retirement age) and several times now I’ve had router bits creep up in the collet as I’m using them and cutting deeper.
I’m using a DeWalt DW618 in a Bench Dog ProTop Portable Router Table.  OK, so not the finest of woodworking tools, but for a weekender like me, it’s done well over the last 20 years.

I’ve gotten into the habit of each time I change a bit, I completely remove the collet chuck and blow out any dust from the collet and the router itself.  I’m not using cheap bits either – most are Whiteside or Freud – and none are in bad shape.  The biggest culprit so far has been hardwoods like rosewood.  I get that vibration can loosen things, and I have also gotten into the habit of stopping every few passes and tightening the collet.  The worst of the bits - a Whitedside's 1/8" straight bit.

I get things get old and wear out, but there’s not a lot of mileage on my setup (compared to most of you out there), but is this normal?  The only thing that’s changed lately is I’m doing more work in hard exotics versus my usual oak.  I can’t back the piece out, and it seems pretty unsafe to hold it in place while I hunt for the switch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Nick, 
   There are a couple of things I would check and try. Remove and clean the collet with WD-40, leave a thin film on the collet, clean out the router shaft with a paper towel with a little WD-40 on it and reassemble. A little oil actually will make the collet grip better than a dry collet. Secondly, make sure your router bit doesn't bottom out when you place it in the collet. When you tighten the collet it will pull the bit down, if it doesn't have any space to draw it down into, it doesn't tighten but gives the appearance of being tight and will allow it to loosen and move up under a load. if these don't resolve the problem, the collet could be damaged or just fatigued after 20 years and you may need a new one. Also if the wood is very hard you may need to take smaller bites and more passes to move deeper to get a full cut. There's nothing wrong with your set up it's capable if fine work if it's used properly. 

Good luck, 
  Paul

Paul
Thanks all for the responses.  I have cranked down the collet so hard I’ve had a bear of a time getting it off at times, although a few passes in some cherry remedied that.  I did “discover” the bottom out issue a while back and that has helped.

Although the WD-40 thing seems counterintuitive, I’ll give that a try.  And while I don’t think there’s a lot of mileage on it, collets are fairly cheap if that doesn’t resolve things.

All-in-all, I like the set up, and the extra care (and patience) I’ve had to take lately has yielded some results that surprise even me.

Made a small leopardwood box over the weekend.  Turned out pretty well.
I know your pain!  I bought my TS w/router table & lift through Craig's List and they were about two years old.  The cut on long runs would change no matter how tight I got the collet.  I finally realized the lift was the problem; I put a tiny amout of "lock thread" on the lift screw...it's been more than 15 years and no issues.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Try to only use bits with a 1/2" shank.
(07-13-2021, 08:29 AM)rschissler Wrote: Try to only use bits with a 1/2" shank.

I agree, I only have and use 1/2 inch shank bits, and when installing in the collet , I bottom out the shank then pull it back up a small amount.
(07-13-2021, 08:13 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I know your pain!  I bought my TS w/router table & lift through Craig's List and they were about two years old.  The cut on long runs would change no matter how tight I got the collet.  I finally realized the lift was the problem; I put a tiny amout of "lock thread" on the lift screw...it's been more than 15 years and no issues.

Thanks for that tip Bill.  I had thought of upgrading and heard similar stories with lifts.
(07-13-2021, 08:29 AM)rschissler Wrote: Try to only use bits with a 1/2" shank.

A reason to buy more bits!  I can work with that.  I'll gift my old 1/4" to some of the "newbies" I know (of course with the education I got here as well).