need help with glue up Reading, PA
I got rid of many tools years ago to make room for kids. I’m now making a couple of tables for a friend and I’m not satisfied with the gap in the table top dry fit. is there anyone somewhat local that could help cut or joint some boards for a glue up?  it would be greatly appreciated!
thx!
(07-12-2021, 09:48 PM)joshua5 Wrote: ...I’m now making a couple of tables for a friend and I’m not satisfied with the gap in the table top dry fit. is there anyone somewhat local that could help cut or joint some boards for a glue up?...

If you are going to make tables you must at the very least be able to create a straight edge, whether it is saw cut or planed.
Wood is good. 
Exactly!  that’s why I’m asking for help. Unfortunately, I’ve sold off my jointer, dust collector, etc. I really hadn’t done much wood working since having the kids. A friend asked me to make a couple of tables and I have the tops pretty close but I think they could be better. I’ve been a forum member for quite some time and remember people willing to help others out quite a bit back in the day so I thought I’d ask. I would greatly appreciate any possible assistance and don’t mind compensating for time. Thanks everyone!
I think you are smart to ask.  The big problem...there just aren't a lot of folks on the forum these days.  Personally, I love sharing my shop and time helping others; had a guy using my lathe every day last week.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-12-2021, 09:48 PM)joshua5 Wrote: I got rid of many tools years ago to make room for kids. I’m now making a couple of tables for a friend and I’m not satisfied with the gap in the table top dry fit. is there anyone somewhat local that could help cut or joint some boards for a glue up?  it would be greatly appreciated!
thx!

I'm east of you about an hour and fifteen minutes or so. I'd be glad to help but that'd be a bit of a hike for you.
If you cannot find a shop close enough, a good hand plane can do the jointing and takes almost no storage space. 

The trick is to clamp the mating boards together with the glue edge up. Plane the two as one, then align the joint like opening a book.

If you keep them oriented properly, any variation in your planing is mirrored side to side so the joint is perfect.

Another solution is to clamp the two boards together like they will be glued and run your circular saw down the joint between the boards guiding with a straight edge. You need a straight edge long enough, but it is easy to get good results. The saw must cut at least a little from both edges at once. 

I recently helped my neighbor glue up two 10’ by 3’ sections of maple counter top into one using the circular saw technique. These were way out of straight so it took three passes I think to get both sides cut all along the edge, but the new joint is almost impossible to find even knowing where it is.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
If you know anyone with a track saw, it should make quick work as well...
Check your incoming PMs