Do you actually use 52ish inch rip capacity?
(07-16-2021, 07:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yea there's always a few that say that. You must have gotten stuck with reject plywood is about all I can think of.

I have seen what handi speaks of.  For sure.  

I appreciate all the feedback.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(07-16-2021, 10:23 PM)Scott W Wrote: I have seen what handi speaks of.  For sure.  

I appreciate all the feedback.

Did you reach a conclusion about which fence???
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-17-2021, 05:39 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Did you reach a conclusion about which fence???

Seems you cannot grow a short fence into a long fence... but you don't have to use all of the long fence.  So yes.... longer seems to be better. 

Now,  ICS VS PCS....I am figuring PCS

I am thinking 3 HP.

Sliding miter? 

I have always bought used and never really had to make specific decisions on a TS... this is a little like buying a car.
The PCS is a top  notch saw and you won't be disappointed. The ICS does have a slightly deeper table and a little more robust construction, but that would matter most to a commercial shop versus a hobbyist. Whichever you pick I suggest getting the ICS mobile base. To me it sets a new standard in mobile bases. It's one drawback is that it doesn't have much clearance to the floor in the fully raised position (something like 3/8" +/-) meaning it doesn't roll smoothly over bumps and such. No input on the sliding miter, I considered it and didn't see anything it would do for me that I can't do with the stuff I have. Besides, it would make the saw wider, and wasn't that the reason for the original post?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-17-2021, 08:24 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Besides, it would make the saw wider, and wasn't that the reason for the original post?

That is such a good point. Didn't even think of that.

Thank you
(07-16-2021, 07:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yea there's always a few that say that. You must have gotten stuck with reject plywood is about all I can think of.

Yea those who say that are usually professional cabinet and furniture makers.

You get to do what you do in your shop, but every single shop that makes cabinets and every piece of industrial equipment made is designed to rip one edge off the plywood first. 

If you do not start straight, you simply cannot finish straight.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-17-2021, 12:39 PM)handi Wrote: Yea those who say that are usually professional cabinet and furniture makers.

You get to do what you do in your shop, but every single shop that makes cabinets and every piece of industrial equipment made is designed to rip one edge off the plywood first. 

If you do not start straight, you simply cannot finish straight.

Most cabinets shops (mine doesn't) need a 30 thousand straight line ripper for straightening ply that is already straight. The big boys that you consult with have the dough for that. Most smaller shops don't, and if they use their heads they never will. The big boys use them to get some fresh meat on the ply for glue-ups. They rip all ply so the drones that assembly those cabinets don't have to think about it. Just glue and assemble.

Buy quality cabinet grade ply and it is straight. I have a 4' long fence on the saw I use and never have a problem cutting sheeting straight that is already straight.
And I haven't bought into the circular saw and guide rail for doing all that time consuming ripping. Yes, I have a guide rail but use it on those 1-off end cuts that I can't do on the table saw.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-17-2021, 06:01 AM)Scott W Wrote: Seems you cannot grow a short fence into a long fence... but you don't have to use all of the long fence.  So yes.... longer seems to be better. 

Now,  ICS VS PCS....I am figuring PCS

I am thinking 3 HP.

Sliding miter? 

I have always bought used and never really had to make specific decisions on a TS... this is a little like buying a car.

I'm going to counter that it's ok to get the shorter fence if space is a concern. Didn't see a lot of people advocating for the shorter so I thought I would at least add my vote to the mix.

And I currently have 52" and I made it work with the space I've got, but my next saw I will be a shorter fence. Very rarely have I needed the extra width and now that I have a tracksaw, the right side of my table is just a clutter-catcher. Which is very useful if you have the space for it. But if space is your #1 concern, the shorter fence will not hold you back. For the few times you 'need' the extra width, there is always a work-around.
That extra space is a nice place to tuck in a router.
I do not have nor do I intend to get a miter saw. But I do have a miter gauge that cuts square and a 1 inch block that I clamp to the rip fence. If I want a one piece or 7 pieces  47 1/4 inches long, I clamp the block on the fence  and set the fence to 48 3/4 length and cut. A lot of upper cabinets are 42 inches high. I prefer to use a sled hear, but the 42 inch length, just like the 47 1/4  still applies. 

There are a lot of different applications I have use over the years because I had the extra  52 inch length but off the top of my head I only listed a couple. 

If I had the room I would always go with the longer fence. One can always cut it shorter, I can't understand it I cut it off 3 times and it is still to short. It is a lot cheaper to cut it shorter than it is to buy the new rails.

And last but not least one needs a longer table because of the longer capacity so one has a longer, larger, flat space to pile stuff on. The old rule of any flat surface will accumulate stuff applies and it will be just a little  more work to remove the difference of 36 to 48. And you are not out of the clear with a 30 inch fence. And you also have a larger flat surface to work on. Sometimes it comes in handy

Don't just think of ripping there are other things that can come into play.

Tom