Toilet refill tube?
Toilets have a refill tube that directs water down the overflow tube, into the bowl to fill the bowl. When the bowl water level is at a certain height, it won't get any higher, because the water will flow out the trap, and in our case into the septic tank.

I repositioned the hose so it fills the tank, instead of going into bowl and into septic tank. The bowl still fills to the same level.
Seems it's a waste of water, and unnessary extra water into my septic.

Is there any other reason for the tube going into the overflow? Can't find any online.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
AFAIK, that's the only reason for its existence.

And the downside is, when someone clogs the head and the flapper valve gets stuck open, water will overtop the rim and really make a mess. 
Big eek
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Brick 
Plugged toilet and stuck flapper valve will overflow the bowl, with or without the tube in or out of the overflow tube.
FYI. I replaced our toilet with one with a 3" flapper. 
Wow! Big difference. Much faster flush. And quieter.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I don't know for sure. But, I'll tell you what I think. Sometimes, when a toilet flushes, momentum carries too much water out through the trap and doesn't leave enough in the bowl and trap to provide the needed sewer gas seal. By having the small tube in the overflow, while the tank is filling, it is also making sure there is sufficient water in the bowl. A side effect of this is that this water enters the bowl via the underside of the rim and thus tends to clean the sides of the bowl.
My thoughts about that small tube in the over flow tube are it continues a small flow of water to assist the waste through the piping. Just my 2 cents.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
A really handy option is to remove the small tube from the overflow tube and place it under the edge of the tank lid - pointing out.  This is especially helpful when visiting a friend hosting a party.

NOTE:  Do this just before leaving the bathroom.

Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(07-14-2021, 06:50 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: A really hand option is to remove the small tube from the overflow tube and place it under the edge of the tank lid - pointing out.  This is especially helpful when visiting a friend hosting a party.

NOTE:  Do this just before leaving the bathroom.

Winkgrin

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sounds like a redneck bidet.