For those that remember Walt Q...
dry heat Wrote:Many years ago I bought a Stanley 605, a #2 and several lesser items from Walt Q. I was able to visit with him in his store a few times, packed with music downstairs and tools upstairs. A great man and a pleasure to deal with.
He was extremely knowledgeable about both the tools and the music.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I miss looking over the weekly list.  Walt was a friend to all he met.

Lonnie
(07-21-2021, 12:57 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I miss looking over the weekly list.  Walt was a friend to all he met.

Lonnie

That and Steve F, and Admiral didn't. You sell quite a bit?
I am fortunate enough to live in Connecticut and near Waterbury.
Walt was my "pusher" and the drug was old tools.
He never did me wrong. I remember the Mondays I would arrange to have an errand to run and go over to his store trying to catch the new stuff before it hit the web.

He was a very interesting guy, low key but a wonderful friend to everyone.

He had a raised platform in one room as a very small stage that hosted local bands from time to time. Most of that was over by the time I met Walt, but he was known and well respected in the local rock music scene. He had a number of recordings of local bands amongst his collection and they dropped in from time to time to talk music.

He didn't care for many politicians, I think Bernie  would have been a favorite. It is a blessing that he didn't make it to the Trump era, he would have had a heart attack.

I miss him, the visits were always interesting. I have a few dollars more in my pocket, but fewer tools in my hoard.

Rick
"You can't always get what you want"
It was always enjoyable to stop in at Walt's shop, for tools and/or vinyl. It was a great road trip destination that I indeed miss. Walt was a great guy!
(07-19-2021, 08:12 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............
Just thinking back...I believe his name was Walt Quadrotto, or something similar...
Walt Quadrato, as I recollect.  I had just a couple of contacts with him, but they were quite good; and he had good products.

I still use his field guide to identifying plane maker by the lateral adjustment lever: this one here
Hadn’t seen that before, very useful guide, thanks Bill
Walt was a great guy and a big part of this forum during its hay day.

(07-27-2021, 05:27 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Walt was a great guy and a big part of this forum during its hay day.

Back in May of 2015 I wrote the moderators of this forum, asking if it was possible that it could be renamed the "Walt Q Hand Tool Forum."
This was based on the sheer volume and depth of feeling of the responses I'd read here in the days after his passing,, as well as my own memories of the man.

At the time, Dominic (Blacky'sBoy) wrote that he'd run it past the other mods, but the was the last I heard of it.

I'm heartened by the fact that many here still remember him fondly.
I'm reluctant to post of fond remembrances of friends that have gone on to that grat workbench in the sky. Walt was a good one! He fueled many handtool purchases, always fair!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com