finishing padauk
for all you who have done projects out of padauk what kind of finishes did you use on it?
Just finishing up a desk made of padauk and next week will start surfacing it.
thanks
(07-18-2021, 07:37 AM)wing nut Wrote: for all you who have done projects out of padauk what kind of finishes did you use on it?
Just finishing up a desk made of padauk and next week will start surfacing it.
thanks

Whatever oil-based finish you like.  Just keep in mind that over time, the orange will eventually turn brown.  Especially if exposed to sunlight.

Here's a video from a guy who claims this finishing technique preserves the color.  I've not tried this, but since it's UV that degrades the color, it makes sense to use something with UV protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wMYISJQ68g
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Danish oil works well. For my money I actually prefer the aged patina of padauk to the original "new" orange-red color. It ages to a pretty wonderful bubinga-like deep reddish brown.

I am not sure if it happens with other solvents as well, but the natural colorant present in the wood is soluble in alcohol. Shellac will cause bleeding of the color, important if you're mixing lighter woods. Mineral oil does not seem to cause this, probably because it's inert and contains no solvents. However, I think most other solvents do.
I've always preferred lacquer for African paduak.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(07-19-2021, 11:36 AM)AHill Wrote: Whatever oil-based finish you like.  Just keep in mind that over time, the orange will eventually turn brown.  Especially if exposed to sunlight.

Here's a video from a guy who claims this finishing technique preserves the color.  I've not tried this, but since it's UV that degrades the color, it makes sense to use something with UV protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wMYISJQ68g

I saw that, My project is quite a bit larger, I went with tung oil, darkened a bit, come out gorgeous.