Will Coca-Cola remove rust
Let's find out...If it works, it's a lot cheaper than Evaporust.
Winkgrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHlYnRZgKes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-18-2021, 10:37 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Let's find out...If it works, it's a lot cheaper than Evaporust.
Winkgrin

I did not watch this video, will have to do so, later, but I think Project Farm also tested this along with other competitors to ER.  I can't remember the name of the competitor that turned out to be better than ER, but I was surprised how quickly the alternative removed the rust compared to ER.  I have always had good results with ER, personally, although have yet to find it safe for paint as their label states (OK I think it actually states SOUND paint, but I have had objects with areas that appeared to be sound, but the paint still softened quite a bit).
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(07-18-2021, 10:37 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Let's find out...If it works, it's a lot cheaper than Evaporust.
Winkgrin

It is acidic (citric acid and maybe some other stuff) so, yes, it will remove rust. Any of the cola's should do about the same. 

Sill prefer EV over the other common "wet" methods because it is a fire-and-forget method. So long as the item remains submerged the process runs to completion then stops. The dark gray color doesn't bother me and it will polish up a bit with non-woven abrasive, wire-wheel, etc. 

I think my gallon jug is more than 5 years old, probably closer to 7. Haven't had a problem with paint/japaning damage that I can remember.

Then again, I'm not doing much restoration as I've mostly filled all the blanks on my acquisition list. Just watching to see if there is a trade-up on the various tools.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(07-19-2021, 12:22 PM)Rob Young Wrote: It is acidic (citric acid and maybe some other stuff) so, yes, it will remove rust. Any of the cola's should do about the same. 

Sill prefer EV over the other common "wet" methods because it is a fire-and-forget method. So long as the item remains submerged the process runs to completion then stops. The dark gray color doesn't bother me and it will polish up a bit with non-woven abrasive, wire-wheel, etc. 

I think my gallon jug is more than 5 years old, probably closer to 7. Haven't had a problem with paint/japaning damage that I can remember.

Then again, I'm not doing much restoration as I've mostly filled all the blanks on my acquisition list. Just watching to see if there is a trade-up on the various tools.
4% acid vinegar works also and you can buy much stronger vinegar at Lowes. It will kill most weeds as good as Roundup.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Why people even bother with alternatives?

You wanna remove rust, don't mess around, use ER. Nothing is going to work better.
(07-21-2021, 01:50 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: Why people even bother with alternatives?  

You wanna remove rust, don't mess around, use ER.  Nothing is going to work better.
Because there are things that are much less expensive and work as well...it's what we used before ER was invented.
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

He must not have read the label, which clearly cites Phosphoric Acid as an ingredient in Coke. It's not very concentrated, though. It would have been nice if he had compared the Coke to vinegar. It's common knowledge among woodworkers that soaking in vinegar will remove rust, and even restore some bite to dull files. The problem with most acids is they attack the base metal and not the rust, so you have to be careful to not overexpose the tool to the acid.

Here's a good comparison test between various rust removers like Evaporust, Citric Acid, Muriatic Acid, CLR, and others including Coke and Pepsi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE9XiVbWumQ
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Honestly, I've never had a reason to use any chemicals to remove rust, a little elbow grease and abrasives has worked for me for over 25 years. Then again I don't buy heavily pitted tools, and there it may have a place, along with electrolysis.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-19-2021, 12:42 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
4% acid vinegar works also and you can buy much stronger vinegar at Lowes.  It will kill most weeds as good as Roundup.

We buy 45% vinegar from Amazon and it kills weeds quick ... smells bad though for a bit lol
Might have to look for that vinegar.  I have some very persistent weeds that grow up through the street at the curb in front of my house.  Have tried several Lowes/HD options and even the local landscapers tried spraying it to no avail.  Only thing I can do is spend an hour manually pulling it for it to show back up by next week.