Laminate top workstation build/questions
I'm going to utilize a small area in our basement that is roughly 10'x 9' to be used as a workstation for the kids including school lab projects, and myself. I will be using two microscopes, some electronics lab equipment like an oscilloscope, soldering station and other odds and ends.

The size I had in mind was using the long wall and would be 30" deep and 10' long. I would like to have the worktop continue around the corner but I don't think keeping the shorter side at 30" deep would work well and protrude into the room too much. My main issue is the shorter wall needs to bi-fold doors to open for the well storage tank and softener plumbing. The we also need some of that area for the laundry.

Option A was only a single top of 30" x 120", and option B was still using the 30" x 120" but have it continue around the corner while reducing the depth to 24" on the shorter side and maybe only another 36" in length.

I included a sketch of option B but leaning towards just the single side of 30" x 120" and maybe add on in the future.

My main issue is choosing the laminate top. I'm thinking of a black mate Wilsonart, but I would think a more scratch-resistant surface would be better than standard HPL but not sure, that's where I'm not well-versed in.

Maybe the black matte standard HPL would be fine, but would like suggestions as I'm sure it will get scratched over time.

All input and criticism appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

As I recall, laminate comes in 4' x 8' sheets.  So going with 24" wide for both runs of the table would be cost-effective with far less waste.

At the risk of sounding really strange, for the kids worktable, I am wondering if tempered masonite with a clear coat might make sense.  I use it for workbenches and I only need a little double-faced tape to hold it in place.  When it gets damaged, I simply remove it and replace with another sheet. 

You could even paint game boards in sections and clear coat over it.  Make the table multi-function.

They make magnetic LVT flooring.  You glue down the magnetic membrane and then simply drop the flooring in place.  The magnet holds it.  Individual tiles can be replaced easily.

You might have access to extra hands.  When I last did some laminates, I had to carry the sheets (rolled up) from my car to the basement.  Awkward.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-19-2021, 01:22 PM)Cooler Wrote: As I recall, laminate comes in 4' x 8' sheets.  So going with 24" wide for both runs of the table would be cost-effective with far less waste.

At the risk of sounding really strange, for the kids worktable, I am wondering if tempered masonite with a clear coat might make sense.  I use it for workbenches and I only need a little double-faced tape to hold it in place.  When it gets damaged, I simply remove it and replace with another sheet. 

You could even paint game boards in sections and clear coat over it.  Make the table multi-function.

They make magnetic LVT flooring.  You glue down the magnetic membrane and then simply drop the flooring in place.  The magnet holds it.  Individual tiles can be replaced easily.

You might have access to extra hands.  When I last did some laminates, I had to carry the sheets (rolled up) from my car to the basement.  Awkward.

Laminate comes in many sizes, not just 4x8.  I have bought 12' long pieces but from a cabinet supply company not a big box which also can order the larger sizes.   I came rolled up and banded.  As far as the wear factor look at a kitchen counter, they go thru years of daily use before showing signs of wear.   I would use care with the soldering area as either will not stand a hot soldering iron on it for a while.   Roly
(07-20-2021, 07:06 AM)Roly Wrote: Laminate comes in many sizes, not just 4x8.  I have bought 12' long pieces but from a cabinet supply company not a big box which also can order the larger sizes.   I came rolled up and banded.  As far as the wear factor look at a kitchen counter, they go thru years of daily use before showing signs of wear.   I would use care with the soldering area as either will not stand a hot soldering iron on it for a while.   Roly
I think, once he said "basement" I thought "workshop".  I agree laminate is nicer.  But more expensive and harder to replace when damaged. 

What was the black solid surface material we had for our science labs in high school?  Was that soap stone?  It stood up really well.
Have you considered a simple straight bench and a couple same height rolling tables?  As for surface, laminate is great and keep a couple replaceable pads around. A chunk of carpet, a self healing cutting mat, a big plastic cutting board, some cardboard, a piece of plywood.....
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I'd go with one counter, The space you lose in the corner you won't come out ahead doing an L.

There are laminates that come in 10' lengths, depends on the mfg'r and style.
You can get 5' x 12' sheets of laminate easily enough. We buy stuff for homeowners all of the time. Slight markup and sell it to them. I would advise not to have it shipped to you. We sometimes have it shipped to us and the shipper, regardless of who it is, usually slams the boxes on end and breaks the laminate. We avoid shipping laminate as much as possible.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-22-2021, 08:54 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I'd go with one counter, The space you lose in the corner you won't come out ahead doing an L.

I was concerned about that as well, I suppose the only use I would have for an "L" would be to place a monitor in the corner. I could always add another section if needed, will likely go with one piece for now.

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for the late response, been crazy busy.

I plan on tackling this next month, will likely go with one 30"x120" worktop for now, I've never glued laminate but I feel it shouldn't be too hard so any input appreciated. If I could get the distributor/supplier to cut a few pieces to certain sizes that would be great, mainly for added shelving.

I suppose 3/4" particle board would be the ideal choice, unless 1/2" or 5/8" is sufficient.

I will pick up from a business and not ship to home, good advice.
I did a laminate countertop in our old kitchen. A large "U" shaped countertop.
2 layers of 3/4" particle board, glued and screwed with full lap joints at the corners. All the cutouts (sink and plumbing) in the top were done before the laminate went down. That way I just drilled a hole in the laminate and used the router bit to cut out the laminate over the holes. Made it a real clean job.
It's much easier with help (in hindsight). The sheets are big and the contact cement dries fast. I did 2 coats of contact cement on the particle board and one on the laminate. The 1st coat soaks into the board and seals it so the 2nd coat has enough glue to stick to the glue on the laminate. Using a roller helps move things along faster than a brush. Buy enough contact cement. Open some windows and run a big fan. There's no such thing as a straight wall so if this will be built in, make a back splash also to hide the gaps along the wall.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

The size of the short leg is just 30" x 28". 

Perhaps instead, make the return 28" x 5' but enough lower in height to allow it to roll under the 10' run.  It would add a lot of flexibility.  It only works if the lower height is useful.  I am at work now and the keyboard and monitor is on a lower height than the desk.  The desk height is 28". and measures 60 inches x 30 inches.  The lower section is 25" tall and measures 18" deep x 36" long.

I have my printer, monitor and keyboard on this section.  There is a knee hole and three drawers to the left and the main desk to the right.

This is similar to what I had in mind:

https://www.madisonliquidators.com/image...desk/8925/