Mystery saw
Picked this Friday...

26" long plate, 8ppi (stamped down by the teeth)...

Fancy handle, but only 3 "bolts".   Back of the plate is straight, not a skew back..

However, when you turn the saw over.....no bolts, not even a trace of any holes?   Price was right, though..

Saw has plenty of set, and is quite sharp.   Has no bends, no kinks, and no missing teeth...could be a good "day-to-day" work saw.  Handle does not have any missing wood parts, only one small crack.   Which does not go all the way through...looking more like just a deep scratch.

Afraid the remove the handle...not sure what those "bolts" are.   Not sure which Maker actually made a saw like this....any clues?

handle fits the hand so well, you don't want to set the saw back down.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Just an up date:  Had a keyhole saw with what appeared to be the same sort of "bolt"...took a chance....removed it's single bolt ( #2 being MIA)....
Turns out, it is a large wood screw.    Oval head, steel.  They go through the saw plate, and into the wood beyond...

I now have the $1.50 saw all cleaned up.....the 3 screws have been taken out, shined up..put back in and "clocked".   Still no etch on either saw.

hammer to straighten the blade on the Keyhole saw.....had 3 curves in it....now has none...May go and see about 2 #12 oval head screws.....IF I can find slotted ones...

Photos later....was a busy bit of shop time....

Sanding center has a new sanding belt, and I cleaned the patten for the 6" disc...and install a new 80 grit disc.

Tested out the Keller Sander.....LOUD.   Screwdriver to install sandpaper.  May go back to the shop after a bit...new blade for the bandsaw needs installed.

The Keller?

back in 1957, this complete sanding kit was $16.95.....sander it's self was $14.95....price I paid at the garage sale?   $2

Keller No. 700
Cool 
Film at 2300 hrs...
Winkgrin
The "Saw Bolt"?
Confused 

Wonder IF I can find one more of these?

Both saws are all cleaned up, now...
Winkgrin

Just not sure who made them..
(07-24-2021, 10:18 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Picked this Friday...

Fancy handle, but only 3 "bolts".   Back of the plate is straight, not a skew back..

However, when you turn the saw over.....no bolts, not even a trace of any holes?   Price was right, though..

Saw has plenty of set, and is quite sharp.   Has no bends, no kinks, and no missing teeth...could be a good "day-to-day" work saw.  Handle does not have any missing wood parts, only one small crack.   Which does not go all the way through...looking more like just a deep scratch.

Afraid the remove the handle...not sure what those "bolts" are.   Not sure which Maker actually made a saw like this....any clues?

I think your saw may be a Madden, Wheeler, and Clemson, Middletown N.Y. Bakewell later became a partner and you may find out more about them if you do a search..Reason I suspect it is, I sold a MWC saw here a number of years ago and the handle was shaped like your saw...I may still have a MWC keyhole saw around here somewhere..I will see if I can find it and post a photo of it. In your search , you may find that the makers names can be reversed..Like Wheeler, Madden and Clemson... I don't know why unless it was for reorganization..There were a number of sawmakers in that area of southern N.Y.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I wonder if that notch at the top is a version of a thumbhole saw handle?
(07-24-2021, 09:42 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I wonder if that notch at the top is a version of a thumbhole saw handle?
I think it was just for appearance, to be different, but IMO that notch weakens it.. J.H. Noble and J.D. Darling made saws with a little "nose" going down the back spine..They may have been made in the same factory....I have a Noble that one day I am going to list on S&S..if I ever get around to parting with a bunch of saws..The large ones are hard to package.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-24-2021, 10:23 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
I think it was just for appearance, to be different, but IMO that notch weakens it.. 

Not the case.
The Holden patent clearly states that the purpose was to facilitate 2-handed sawing.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&...id=0216091

I can tell you that I have never experienced any particular weakness in this design and have had several users over the decades.

Here's one I grabbed at random

[Image: zt8hrkn.jpg]

Note that the earliest models had the patent date stamped near the thumbhole 

[Image: sb7VdAg.jpg]
(07-24-2021, 10:18 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Picked this Friday...

I've had a couple with screws like that but never had one with any identifiable stamp/etch so can't help much on maker.  I took the screws of that sort to be an indication of economy model although the ones I had did not have quite as nice of a handle.  Seems like one had a reinforcing steel plate on the one side.  In any event, if it's sharp and straight...
I have in the stash as well.  It’s not a common saw to find in the wild nowadays.