Mystery saw

Picked this Friday...

26" long plate, 8ppi (stamped down by the teeth)...

Fancy handle, but only 3 "bolts".   Back of the plate is straight, not a skew back..

However, when you turn the saw over.....no bolts, not even a trace of any holes?   Price was right, though..

Saw has plenty of set, and is quite sharp.   Has no bends, no kinks, and no missing teeth...could be a good "day-to-day" work saw.  Handle does not have any missing wood parts, only one small crack.   Which does not go all the way through...looking more like just a deep scratch.

Afraid the remove the handle...not sure what those "bolts" are.   Not sure which Maker actually made a saw like this....any clues?

handle fits the hand so well, you don't want to set the saw back down.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
  Re: Mystery saw by bandit571 (Picked this Friday.....)
Just an up date:  Had a keyhole saw with what appeared to be the same sort of "bolt"...took a chance....removed it's single bolt ( #2 being MIA)....
Turns out, it is a large wood screw.    Oval head, steel.  They go through the saw plate, and into the wood beyond...

I now have the $1.50 saw all cleaned up.....the 3 screws have been taken out, shined up..put back in and "clocked".   Still no etch on either saw.

hammer to straighten the blade on the Keyhole saw.....had 3 curves in it....now has none...May go and see about 2 #12 oval head screws.....IF I can find slotted ones...

Photos later....was a busy bit of shop time....

Sanding center has a new sanding belt, and I cleaned the patten for the 6" disc...and install a new 80 grit disc.

Tested out the Keller Sander.....LOUD.   Screwdriver to install sandpaper.  May go back to the shop after a bit...new blade for the bandsaw needs installed.

The Keller?

back in 1957, this complete sanding kit was $16.95.....sander it's self was $14.95....price I paid at the garage sale?   $2

Keller No. 700 Cool 
Film at 2300 hrs... Winkgrin
The "Saw Bolt"? Confused 

Wonder IF I can find one more of these?

Both saws are all cleaned up, now... Winkgrin

Just not sure who made them..
(07-24-2021, 10:18 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Picked this Friday...

Fancy handle, but only 3 "bolts".   Back of the plate is straight, not a skew back..

However, when you turn the saw over.....no bolts, not even a trace of any holes?   Price was right, though..

Saw has plenty of set, and is quite sharp.   Has no bends, no kinks, and no missing teeth...could be a good "day-to-day" work saw.  Handle does not have any missing wood parts, only one small crack.   Which does not go all the way through...looking more like just a deep scratch.

Afraid the remove the handle...not sure what those "bolts" are.   Not sure which Maker actually made a saw like this....any clues?

I think your saw may be a Madden, Wheeler, and Clemson, Middletown N.Y. Bakewell later became a partner and you may find out more about them if you do a search..Reason I suspect it is, I sold a MWC saw here a number of years ago and the handle was shaped like your saw...I may still have a MWC keyhole saw around here somewhere..I will see if I can find it and post a photo of it. In your search , you may find that the makers names can be reversed..Like Wheeler, Madden and Clemson... I don't know why unless it was for reorganization..There were a number of sawmakers in that area of southern N.Y.
"If you don't read newspapers you're uninformed...If you do read newspapers, you're misinformed.....Mark Twain

Jack Edgar, Sgt. USMC Korea, the Forgotten War 51/52
Get off my lawn ! Upset

I wonder if that notch at the top is a version of a thumbhole saw handle?
  Re: RE: Mystery saw by Bill_Houghton (I wonder if that not...)
(07-24-2021, 09:42 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I wonder if that notch at the top is a version of a thumbhole saw handle?
I think it was just for appearance, to be different, but IMO that notch weakens it.. J.H. Noble and J.D. Darling made saws with a little "nose" going down the back spine..They may have been made in the same factory....I have a Noble that one day I am going to list on S&S..if I ever get around to parting with a bunch of saws..The large ones are hard to package.
"If you don't read newspapers you're uninformed...If you do read newspapers, you're misinformed.....Mark Twain

Jack Edgar, Sgt. USMC Korea, the Forgotten War 51/52
Get off my lawn ! Upset

Re: RE: Mystery saw by Timberwolf ([quote='Bill_Houghto...)
(07-24-2021, 10:23 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
I think it was just for appearance, to be different, but IMO that notch weakens it.. 

Not the case.
The Holden patent clearly states that the purpose was to facilitate 2-handed sawing.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&...id=0216091

I can tell you that I have never experienced any particular weakness in this design and have had several users over the decades.

Here's one I grabbed at random

Note that the earliest models had the patent date stamped near the thumbhole 

(07-24-2021, 10:18 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Picked this Friday...

I've had a couple with screws like that but never had one with any identifiable stamp/etch so can't help much on maker.  I took the screws of that sort to be an indication of economy model although the ones I had did not have quite as nice of a handle.  Seems like one had a reinforcing steel plate on the one side.  In any event, if it's sharp and straight...
I have in the stash as well.  It’s not a common saw to find in the wild nowadays.