Supernova2 Chuck
Question 
Hi all, 

I just bought a Supernova2 chuck at an estate sale.  I was surprised that it didn't move very freely, it had much more resistance to turning the allen wrench than my other chucks.  I took it apart.  There wasn't any dirt inside, just a little bit of dry looking grease.  It doesn't look like the previous owner used it very much.  I cleaned it and added some grease and put it back together.  Everything was moving very freely and easily before installing the snap ring, but once I put the snap ring back in, it was back to the same resistance when turning the allen wrench.  Is this the way it is suppposed to work?  Will it "break in" with continued use?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(07-27-2021, 11:50 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Hi all, 

I just bought a Supernova2 chuck at an estate sale.  I was surprised that it didn't move very freely, it had much more resistance to turning the allen wrench than my other chucks.  I took it apart.  There wasn't any dirt inside, just a little bit of dry looking grease.  It doesn't look like the previous owner used it very much.  I cleaned it and added some grease and put it back together.  Everything was moving very freely and easily before installing the snap ring, but once I put the snap ring back in, it was back to the same resistance when turning the allen wrench.  Is this the way it is suppposed to work?  Will it "break in" with continued use?

Thanks,
Mark

Sounds like you may have a damaged clip.  Remove, look for galling where things rotate on the body, and clean up with some SiC 600.  Also lap the ring itself, in case it's peened over or damaged and causing galling and resistance to the turn.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-27-2021, 07:02 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Sounds like you may have a damaged clip.  Remove, look for galling where things rotate on the body, and clean up with some SiC 600.  Also lap the ring itself, in case it's peened over or damaged and causing galling and resistance to the turn.

Just to make sure I was clear in my original note, all the parts moved easily and freely before I put the snap ring back in.  I might have thought that galling or damage would have affected performance even before putting the snap ring back in?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(07-28-2021, 08:12 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Just to make sure I was clear in my original note, all the parts moved easily and freely before I put the snap ring back in.  I might have thought that galling or damage would have affected performance even before putting the snap ring back in?

Thanks,
Mark

Not if ring damage is the source of the friction.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-28-2021, 08:12 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Just to make sure I was clear in my original note, all the parts moved easily and freely before I put the snap ring back in.  I might have thought that galling or damage would have affected performance even before putting the snap ring back in?

Thanks,
Mark

(07-28-2021, 10:38 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Not if ring damage is the source of the friction.

or if one of the parts got dinged and has a burr sticking out. There is enough slop before the snap ring goes back on that a burr might not drag noticeably. With the snap ring in place, that slop is removed and the burr (if there) is forced against the adjoining surface.

Also, if there is some crud in the snap ring groove, the snap ring could be prevented from fully seating. If that happens, the ring can flex out of being flat. That can cause drag as well.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-27-2021, 11:50 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Hi all, 

Thanks,
Mark

I had the same issue a while back with one of my Supernova 2 chucks. If I remember correctly, Teknatool had a batch of chucks that the retaining clip used was too thick and put too much pressure on the plastic cover causing friction. I think I tried lapping the ring to thin but might have called Teknatool for a replacement.
Larry
(07-29-2021, 07:50 AM)lkomroff Wrote: I had the same issue a while back with one of my Supernova 2 chucks. If I remember correctly, Teknatool had a batch of chucks that the retaining clip used was too thick and put too much pressure on the plastic cover causing friction. I think I tried lapping the ring to thin but might have called Teknatool for a replacement.

Good idea.  I contacted them by email.  Used the same text as my original post.  Here's their reply.  Needless to say, I'll be unlikely to purchase teknatool products in the future.

"I've attached the manual for the SN2. The manual covers proper chuck maintenance and how to disassemble and reassemble. Certain parts of the chuck such as the circlip, pinions jaw slides and scroll ring are considered consumable parts and can wear over time. We do sell replacements of those parts if needed.

Regards,

Rob"
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(07-29-2021, 02:12 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Good idea.  I contacted them by email.  Used the same text as my original post.  Here's their reply.  Needless to say, I'll be unlikely to purchase teknatool products in the future.

"I've attached the manual for the SN2. The manual covers proper chuck maintenance and how to disassemble and reassemble. Certain parts of the chuck such as the circlip, pinions jaw slides and scroll ring are considered consumable parts and can wear over time. We do sell replacements of those parts if needed.

Regards,

Rob"

Why would you expect Teknatool to pay for fixing the chuck when you were neither the original owner, and it was used?  Who knows how long it's been since the original warranty expired?  

All that said, I don't think their customer service is all that great (especially in the US), but in this case I don't think you have much leverage.  I myself have had issues with US Customer Service.  In my case, it was related to a lathe and I ended up contacting the President of Teknatool in New Zealand.  It was then that I got satisfaction.  They also ended up firing the US Customer Service guy, who doubled as the technical service contact.  He was arrogant and insisted I should be able to replace a bearing in my shop which is normally installed at the factory.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-30-2021, 10:14 AM)AHill Wrote: Why would you expect Teknatool to pay for fixing the chuck when you were neither the original owner, and it was used?  Who knows how long it's been since the original warranty expired?  

All that said, I don't think their customer service is all that great (especially in the US), but in this case I don't think you have much leverage.  I myself have had issues with US Customer Service.  In my case, it was related to a lathe and I ended up contacting the President of Teknatool in New Zealand.  It was then that I got satisfaction.  They also ended up firing the US Customer Service guy, who doubled as the technical service contact.  He was arrogant and insisted I should be able to replace a bearing in my shop which is normally installed at the factory.

Had you read my post, you would see that I never asked them to pay for it.  I was asking for help in figuring it out, and received none.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I never knew that there was a maintenance manual for the SN2 chuck. None of mine came with one. So, that is useful info. Thank you.

Did they happen to give you a link for the available replacement parts? I never stumbled across that page, either.

Is it possible that the previous owner(s) reassembled the chuck after a maintenance with the sliders out of order? Normally, that would result in the jaws not meeting in the middle, but I do not know if there is some oddball arrangement that might still meet but have extra friction (like doing them in 1-4-3-2 order or something).

Just blue-skying. If there really is an inappropriately high friction, then some part has to have a burr somewhere or there is a chunk of grit embedded in a ways or in that plastic backing plate.

I can only suggest that you take it apart again and do a careful inspection of every edge and guide until you find it.

While it is apart, it would be worth installing just the snap ring to verify that it fits properly and fully seats. A little bit of grit in that channel can be really hard to see.

Sorry that I do not have a better answer for you.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.