1975 Delta 28-3CO
I have a 14" Delta bandsaw with a 1/2 hp motor. It doesn't have the umph to resaw very much. It's the has the old cast iron frame. My question is what do you think the max hp motor I should put on it? I like the old saw and am having trouble making up my mind about replacing the motor and guides or just replacing the saw.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
1-1/2 hp is common, and Delta sold it with a 2 hp motor at one time in fact.  It's in my 2002-2003 catalog, models 28-241F (240V single-phase) and 28-241G (three-phase).  28-241 (no suffix) is 1-1/2 hp, 120V single-phase.

So yeah, you can put a larger motor on it.  You'll be limited in blade width, though, as that CI frame can only handle so much blade tension. and you don't want to run too loose.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I had one (28-245, as I recall) with 1/2 HP motor. I sold that motor and put a 1 horse on it, after that I wished I had went a little larger.....but the 1 HP was a huge step up from where i was.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What do ya think would be the limit on blade width? The max width I currently have is Starrett 1/2" 3 TPI.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
(07-29-2021, 02:11 PM)2Goober Wrote: What do ya think would be the limit on blade width? The max width I currently have is Starrett 1/2" 3 TPI.

I think you are good with that for a 14" saw.  On the motor, go with minimum 1hp, 2hp would be nice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-29-2021, 04:48 PM)Admiral Wrote: I think you are good with that for a 14" saw.  On the motor, go with minimum 1hp, 2hp would be nice.

A friend put a 3 HP on a Delta 14 once.  Stripped the tires off during a hard push.
Glue the tires on and you might avoid that adventure.
That pot metal top wheel carriage isn't but so strong but some people report on the internet that they have no problems with it.
I put a 2hp, 220V on my 1994 14" Delta saw to increase resaw performance. It came with a 3/4hp motor.

The improvement is amazing and the saw runs great.
Semper fi,
Brad

(07-30-2021, 01:48 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: A friend put a 3 HP on a Delta 14 once.  Stripped the tires off during a hard push.
Glue the tires on and you might avoid that adventure.
That pot metal top wheel carriage isn't but so strong but some people report on the internet that they have no problems with it.

I would agree that 3hp would be a bit excessive....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I just put a 2HP motor on a similar saw.
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
I put a 3 horse and riser block on my saw about 8 years ago so I could re-saw wide panels, and its never shown any sign of adverse wear and tear.