Stanley #45
(07-31-2021, 12:32 AM)theoldfart Wrote: You have a bonus as well. I see a set of hollow and rounds as well!

Congrats to the OP.  Incredible deal!

Those aren't hollows and rounds.  The "hollows" are actually for making beads.  No "rounds" or fluting blades that I could see.  Stanley did offer H&R as an additional set, but the standard cutter set included only beading blades.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-02-2021, 09:17 AM)AHill Wrote: Those aren't hollows and rounds.  The "hollows" are actually for making beads.  No "rounds" or fluting blades that I could see.  Stanley did offer H&R as an additional set, but the standard cutter set included only beading blades.

I think what theoldfart (do your friends call you Theo?) was pointing to were the hollow and round sliding sections between the assembled plane and the cutter boxes.  I don't see the cutters for those, but, as far as I know, they used standard width cutters ground to fit the concave/convex bases.  Big Bill could track down some cutters the needed with on That Auction Place or from one of the tool sellers and scribe-and-grind them to fit.  I've got one size of the hollow and round sliding sections, and have found particularly the round helpful.
Anyone have dimensions for a #45 or #55 box?  I have both.  The box the 55 came in is somewhat respectable, but has no lid
Bill, most people just use TOF, and yes I was referring to the H&R sliding sections.

If you look at the back cutter box third from the right, you’ll see a round cutter. It’s too shallow to be a beader.
This is a little off the topic but Woodcraft has a Work Sharp 300 for for sale for $199 and I believe free Shipping. I was at the Woodsmith Store last week, and played with one. I think that one would be just the ticket for flattering the backs of plane iron and chisels. The reason I am saying this, is the only way to sharpen the cutters for the 45 and 55 is to, in shop parlance, is to grind the flat part of the cutters

I also know that Wood Turners Wonders  sells CBN wheels for  a work sharp. If I had a 45 or 55 I would certainly consider purchasing one. I can't think of anything more worthless in a shop than a dull tool

Tom
(08-07-2021, 09:49 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: ...the only way to sharpen the cutters for the 45 and 55 is to, in shop parlance, is to grind the flat part of the cutters...

"Planecraft" also talks about honing with shaped slipstones; but you would need a pretty comprehensive set of slipstones to do it that way.
In use, today..
Winkgrin 

One for grooves, and the other set up for dados

And..a dado...or two..

Going to leave them both set up, and out...until all 5 drawers are done...then they can go back into their own boxes....had to stone the dado cutter, first..
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-07-2021, 09:49 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: This is a little off the topic but Woodcraft has a Work Sharp 300 for for sale for $199 and I believe free Shipping. I was at the Woodsmith Store last week, and played with one. I think that one would be just the ticket for flattering the backs of plane iron and chisels. The reason I am saying this, is the only way to sharpen the cutters for the 45 and 55 is to, in shop parlance, is to grind the flat part of the cutters

I also know that Wood Turners Wonders  sells CBN wheels for  a work sharp. If I had a 45 or 55 I would certainly consider purchasing one. I can't think of anything more worthless in a shop than a dull tool

Tom

If you are going to use a Work Sharp 300 for flattening the back of chisels, it is highly recommended to get and use a foot switch for it.
Place the chisel when the work sharp is off, turn it on and off with the foot switch, then wait until the disk stops before lifting the chisel off the disk.

I have wondered about the WTW CBN disks for the WS300. Does anyone here have any experience with them? There is something in the fine print that has me concerned that they may groove easily if you apply the item being sharpened in the wrong manner.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Roy has a show on combination planes, and shows how to use the 45 for a number of operations  Woodwrights shop