Marking pencil for dark wood
I've not yet found a suitable pencil for marking cut lines on dark wood such as walnut. Those designed for use on fabric don't work well for this use. I'd checked on the web, found one Youtube video describing the use of General charcoal white pencils. Sure looked good on the video, but after purchasing a pair on Amazon I've been rather disappointed. They seem to work somewhat well on cross-grain marks, but not nearly as well on long grain. In the image I've included, I'd traced the edge of the template with several passes, applying uniform pressure for the entire length. As can be seen, the line is clear in some areas of the wood, but not visible at all in other places. Cutting on the bandsaw, I like to try to stay about 1/16th of an inch outside of the line, but that's a real challenge when I can't see the line. I've resorted to going back to putting adhesive tape or painter's blue tape on the wood and then using a standard pencil, but that seems like rather a waste of tape.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-31-2021, 02:14 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I've not yet found a suitable pencil for marking cut lines on dark wood such as walnut. Those designed for use on fabric don't work well for this use. I'd checked on the web, found one Youtube video describing the use of General charcoal white pencils. Sure looked good on the video, but after purchasing a pair on Amazon I've been rather disappointed. They seem to work somewhat well on cross-grain marks, but not nearly as well on long grain. In the image I've included, I'd traced the edge of the template with several passes, applying uniform pressure for the entire length. As can be seen, the line is clear in some areas of the wood, but not visible at all in other places. Cutting on the bandsaw, I like to try to stay about 1/16th of an inch outside of the line, but that's a real challenge when I can't see the line. I've resorted to going back to putting adhesive tape or painter's blue tape on the wood and then using a standard pencil, but that seems like rather a waste of tape.

Would hate for you to waste a cheap piece of tape.Go to a kid's coloured pencil set and use the yellow pencil.Yellow shows up very well on dark wood.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(07-31-2021, 05:59 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Would hate for you to waste a cheap piece of tape.Go to a kid's coloured pencil set and use the yellow pencil.Yellow shows up very well on dark wood.

Mel

tried that, neither the white nor the yellow produced a consistent, readable line on walnut. It was after that trial that I got the General charcoal white.
I've experienced the same thing with colored pencils. The line is is just too wide and blurred to be off much use. I use a marking knife and a black gel pen. The gel pen leaves a good clear line, but it's a little hard to see on dark wood. More often than not, I use a marking knife and highlight the score with a white or blue artist's pencil.
Look for the red accounting pencils They work better than the white pencils
I use Stabilo brand pencils. I buy an assortment from ebay. Here is one listing, you can get multicolor packs, Stabilo Grease Pencils Box of 12 Great For Temporary Markings. Assorted Colors | eBay
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Not a pencil, but try a red ultra-fine Sharpie pen.
(07-31-2021, 02:14 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I've not yet found a suitable pencil for marking cut lines on dark wood such as walnut. Those designed for use on fabric don't work well for this use. I'd checked on the web, found one Youtube video describing the use of General charcoal white pencils. Sure looked good on the video, but after purchasing a pair on Amazon I've been rather disappointed. They seem to work somewhat well on cross-grain marks, but not nearly as well on long grain. In the image I've included, I'd traced the edge of the template with several passes, applying uniform pressure for the entire length. As can be seen, the line is clear in some areas of the wood, but not visible at all in other places. Cutting on the bandsaw, I like to try to stay about 1/16th of an inch outside of the line, but that's a real challenge when I can't see the line. I've resorted to going back to putting adhesive tape or painter's blue tape on the wood and then using a standard pencil, but that seems like rather a waste of tape.
Acrylic paint pens work, guaranteed! Available in many colors for about a buck each at amazon..and it doesn't rub off...It's paint!! Dries in minutes!!!!!!
[Image: d-D0ugzm-WRX2xs8-Nckzym4-Q.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/Emooqi-Permanent-...WNrPXRydWU=
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-01-2021, 08:14 AM)museumguy Wrote: I use Stabilo brand pencils. I buy an assortment from ebay. Here is one listing, you can get multicolor packs, Stabilo Grease Pencils Box of 12 Great For Temporary Markings. Assorted Colors | eBay

Also good for wet wood such as pressure treated.  But being soft it is not a precise line if you need that.   I like the lighter green color as it shows up on most woods.   Roly
I use silver welders pencils
https://www.amazon.com/Markal-Silver-Str...B081S7ZD35