Marking pencil for dark wood
A seamtress' marking chalk works well.  I see them in pencil form.

Lots of choices.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=seamtress+mar...nb_sb_noss

I use this type (see image below).  I have a special sharpener for this.  They are very cheap to buy:

[Image: tailor-with-chalk.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'd give these a try.  Used them when I was marking papers and they were smooth.

https://www.dickblick.com/items/prismaco...ry-yellow/
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Good to know...I usually resort to the yellow painters tape.
Thanks for the helpful info/links...
The advantage of the dressmakers' chalk, aside from being visible, is that it is easy to clean off.  It is meant to wash out, but a stiff brush will remove almost all traces of it.  A waxed-based colored pencil will not clean off nearly as easily.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I found some 'fine tip' white metallic markers in the craft section at Family Dollar that show up well. They are not as fine as I would like (1.2 mm compared to .7 mechanical pencils), but they have worked sufficiently.

Dark
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
Pica-Dry Mechanical Pencils are made for woodworking. They offer a variety of colors of lead, including yellow, red, white, and blue among others. Lee Valley sells them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Very timely post.  I'm working with walnut and followed the post with great intrest. 

I got a package of the red accounting pencils, wow, they work great and are ereaseable!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I use the hard blue colored pencils
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020