insulating a shed shop
Hi,

Moving into a new house that comes with a very nicely built 20'x12' shed right up close to the house, which I'd like to turn into a handtool shop (mostly, probably put the drill-press and bandsaw in there too). The larger machines for breaking down and milling will occupy half of the nearby 2-car garage (the garage side entrance is literally 3 steps away from the entrance to the shed) 

There is a single circuit already running from the house, but that's not going to be quite enough.  I've got a licensed electrician who is going to run a 50amp sub-panel into it (inspected) to power lights and smaller machines, plus hopefully heating/cooling unit(s) of some kind which brings me to my question.  

What's the proper way to insulate this so that it can be relatively comfortable in winter and summer for shop use and I won't have to worry about forming condensation inside etc..

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

I have rock wool insulation for the walls in my shop and spray foam insulation for the ceiling.
I then installed a vapor barrier and 1/2 inch plywood for the walls.

Warm in winter with a heater, cool in summer. I am in Montana.
(08-02-2021, 05:26 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: I have rock wool insulation for the walls in my shop and spray foam insulation for the ceiling.
I then installed a vapor barrier and 1/2 inch plywood for the walls.

Warm in winter with a heater, cool in summer. I am in Montana.

Thanks. What about ventilation? this has a small ridge vent.. do you just close up all the vents?
(08-02-2021, 05:29 PM)mound Wrote: Thanks. What about ventilation? this has a small ridge vent.. do you just close up all the vents?

I also have rock wool in the walls, vapor barrier and sheetrock, and spray foam on the roof deck and gables.  I don't have a ridge vent, but they stuffed the vented soffit area with regular R13, paper face up before they sprayed.  Not pretty up there, but cut the summer heat considerably.
Vents were closed up.
I am pretty much in the shop daily, so not too worried about it.
So far never had any issues.
Thanks all.. Any ideas for the floor? It's just plywood with a few inches of air under it before gravel.. not sure accessing the underside would be easy.
(08-03-2021, 10:47 AM)mound Wrote: Thanks all.. Any ideas for the floor? It's just plywood with a few inches of air under it before gravel.. not sure accessing the underside would be easy.

If it was me, and I was using a contractor to spray foam, I'd ask if they can spray foam underneath, or would that cause other issues?
(08-04-2021, 06:04 AM)WxMan Wrote: If it was me, and I was using a contractor to spray foam, I'd ask if they can spray foam underneath, or would that cause other issues?

Not sure if underneath is accessible, unless the shed were jacked up somehow.. 

does spray foam in such a small space require a contractor or is there a DIY way?
I know Menards has DIY kits for the spray foam, if they aren't near you it possible big Orange (or Blue) might have the same thing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This is how my ceiling was done.

[attachment=36848]

[attachment=36849]