(Update) Bench top oscillating edge sander utility?
It's gonna be a while before I can buy a floor model or get around to finishing the one I had hoped to build.  In the interim I'm thinking of a bench top model; I think I've seen good words spoken (written?) about them here.

If you were in the market for one, new or used, would you buy one?  If you've bought one, would you do it again?

Suggestions?

Clarification:

I have no desire for an OSS; I have one already.
Semper fi,
Brad

I have a older Ridgid with 4X24 oscillating belt and the 1/2 thru 2" drum sander. I bought this thing used sever years ago and it's still chugg'n. It doesn't have the power as my old 6X48 but it doesn't take up as much room in my small shop.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
(08-02-2021, 07:30 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: It's gonna be a while before I can buy a floor model or get around to finishing the one I had hoped to build.  In the interim I'm thinking of a bench top model; I think I've seen good words spoken (written?) about them here.

If you were in the market for one, new or used, would you buy one?  If you've bought one, would you do it again?

Suggestions?

I've had the Delta BOSS for years and years.  A spindle sander is one of those 'right tools for the job' that doesn't get used all the time, but sure makes it easier when you need one.  I can't imagine anything I've used it for that could have been done 'better' with a much more expensive floor model.
I've had a Craftsman (cough, cough) benchtop OSS for probably 25 years. It's one of the worse ones ever made (I suspect) and yet I keep it. The few times I need one it's up to the task so while I yearn for a stationary unit, I really can't find a reason to give up the POS I have. It just really works for what I need.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a Triton OSS that I love using but would like an edge sander for working outside curves.

I have a 1955 Craftsman 6×48 but want something that will sand with the grain...and oscillate.
Semper fi,
Brad

My only "stationary" sander is the Ridgid combo machine.  Had it for many years and it has been a good tool.

There are compromises with it.  

- Most notably, the nut that holds down the spindle is wider than the smallest spindle.  If you're working on a piece using the smallest spindle, and it's taller than the spindle, the nut is going to interfere. 

- Many spindle sanders have a 6" spindle; the Ridgid is 4".

- The table can be adjusted from 90 degrees to the abrasive surface to 45 degrees.  However, the pivot point of the table is well in front of the abrasive surface, resulting in the workpiece not being supported at the point of contact with the abrasive surface.  This can make it hard to control the workpiece.

I am finally to the point where I may add more machines to the mix:  a dedicated spindle sander, and maybe a combo belt/disc sander.
Clarification:

I have no desire for an OSS; I have one already.
Semper fi,
Brad

I have the Ridgid also.  It is positioned next to my dovetail jig, where it gets most of its use.  A much longer surface (48") would be nice, but where to put it?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The Ridgid has the Belt sander attachment which is all I've ever used. If you go with that one you could ditch the OSS. I have a disc/belt sander that somebody gave me which must have a 1/64 hp motor because it ain't got no umph. Didn't Craftsman make some years ago? One of those might have a stronger motor or the motor might be able to be increased a little.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled
I've had the Ridgid for several years and like it especially for smaller projects. (For larger projects I've got a Craftsman disk/belt sander.) I appreciate the design of the Ridgid. It goes easily from oscillating belt sander to oscillating drum sander which comes in several sizes. And, it's comparatively inexpensive. I bought mine new for about $200. I think the price has gone up to around $250. Still, if I needed and oscillating sander the Ridgid would be my first choice.