(Update) Bench top oscillating edge sander utility?
I have the Ridgid as well. It's great for portability and power for its size. The downside is that it will hog through material quickly, so I had to be careful with it. Later I built a v-drum sander so I made a fence for it and use that for edge sanding. It's slower, but more forgiving and helps to remove deviations. I mainly use the Ridgid as an OSS now. I would love to have a big edge sander, but it's difficult to justify.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(08-03-2021, 03:34 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Clarification:

I have no desire for an OSS; I have one already.

Sorry, now I'll go write on the board 10000 times:

read the question more carefully

to b continued elsewhere........
Laugh
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I bought the Rigid oscillating drum/belt sander today. I hope it lives up to the hype!

Wink
Semper fi,
Brad

Fred,

I didn't see your response until after I posted mine.

It made me giggle.
Semper fi,
Brad

Let us know of the Rigid does what you want. I keep thinking about it (and not doing anything).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Looks like it sat there for a while.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

It was my understanding the the Ridgid as been out of production for a while.  I've seen discussions on other boards that indicate there may be some "onesie, twosie" stock still at a store here or there.

Glad you got one.  Let us know how it works for you.
Note:  The Rigid unit has a plastic key.  If you lose the key, Home Depot will not order it for you.  So don't lose the key.  I found a replacement online, but not from Home Depot. 

I don't know the utility for that key.  Pull it out so young kids can't use it?  When they can start almost every machine in the shop that is more dangerous?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a similar key in the switch for my Craftsman RAS.  I've had that saw for about 40 years and I've never removed the key.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(08-13-2021, 10:19 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I have a similar key in the switch for my Craftsman RAS.  I've had that saw for about 40 years and I've never removed the key.

I never removed the key, but it did disappear when I moved.   I just offered that as a cautionary tale.  Home Depot was not interested in addressing the lost key issue.  And the unit is unusable without the key.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.