4 way switch confusion
(08-06-2021, 01:57 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: There's nothing hot with the breaker off. The box with the 4 way sw has to 2 other single switches, 1 for the light/fan over the table and one for the outside light. I'm thinking to test all the wires disconnected and possibly run the second hot wire that I discovered when checking the 4 way sw. But I'm still not certain what where all the other wires should go.

I'm doing this so I can use 3 sw on the kitchen lights independently.   As stated the electrician a few years ago left it like this.

Jim

The 4 way should not have any hot wires feeding it. You should have all travelers there and yes you will read a hot because it comes from one of the 3 ways. The other 2 single pole switches should have a hot for each and a switchleg that goes to light and or fan. If the home run comes into that box and not one of the other 3 way switches then they are using the 4 way as a 3 way and doing some fugazzy wiring. Did the 2 3ways and the 4 way work the light in question??  That is where you need to start. If not then as I suggested some fugazzy wiring is happening.
John T.
(08-06-2021, 07:37 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: The 4 way should not have any hot wires feeding it. You should have all travelers there and yes you will read a hot because it comes from one of the 3 ways. The other 2 single pole switches should have a hot for each and a switchleg that goes to light and or fan. If the home run comes into that box and not one of the other 3 way switches then they are using the 4 way as a 3 way and doing some fugazzy wiring. Did the 2 3ways and the 4 way work the light in question??  That is where you need to start. If not then as I suggested some fugazzy wiring is happening.

I'm pretty certain the 4 way is in the right place. The original construction had everything working as it should. Plus that is the only box with the 4 wires needed for the 4 way. I'll disconnect all of the switches for the lights and start testing for hot wires and go from there.

I'm not an expert on electricity and never heard the term "fugazzy" before but I get the jest. 
Big Grin

Jim
Jim
(08-07-2021, 08:07 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm pretty certain the 4 way is in the right place. The original construction had everything working as it should. Plus that is the only box with the 4 wires needed for the 4 way. I'll disconnect all of the switches for the lights and start testing for hot wires and go from there.

I'm not an expert on electricity and never heard the term "fugazzy" before but I get the jest. 
Big Grin

Jim

What are you testing with ?  A meter or proximity tester ? If using a meter, test to ground.  A proximity tester can give false hot indication.    It has been hard for us to hit a moving target.  What happened to the switch with the center position ?  Roly
(08-07-2021, 08:46 AM)Roly Wrote: What are you testing with ?  A meter or proximity tester ? If using a meter, test to ground.  A proximity tester can give false hot indication.    It has been hard for us to hit a moving target.  What happened to the switch with the center position ?  Roly

"Center position" ?
Jim
(08-07-2021, 09:34 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: "Center position" ?

May be it was a different poster but talked that it only worked with the switch in the halfway position.  Sorry if I confused you more but I thought this was part of a previous thread.  Roly
That center box that has the 3 switches in it will have alot of wires in it depending how the light and fan were controlled from those 2 single pole switches. What you need to do is to start elliminating wires. First thing is to identify the travelers comoing from each 3 way. This will be done with the power off and continuity tester. Disconnect all wires so nothing is touching ground. Then one of the traveler wires from one switch ground it to the box if it is a metal box, (if plastic then ground it to the ground wire) now go to center box and using a continuity tester test between ground and any wire. When you find the one that sets the buzzer off or lights your test light mark both wires the same. Use any code you want. Colored tape or brady markers with numbers or tape with a number on it. Then look for the next traveler at the same 3way and do the same thing and mark with a different marking. Now you found the set of travelers between the 4way and that 3way. Now do the exact same thing with the other 3 way and you should wind up with all 4 travelers and hook according to diagram to switch. Then get back to us.
John T.
(08-07-2021, 09:07 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: That center box that has the 3 switches in it will have alot of wires in it depending how the light and fan were controlled from those 2 single pole switches. What you need to do is to start elliminating wires. First thing is to identify the travelers comoing from each 3 way. This will be done with the power off and continuity tester. Disconnect all wires so nothing is touching ground. Then one of the traveler wires from one switch ground it to the box if it is a metal box, (if plastic then ground it to the ground wire) now go to center box and using a continuity tester test between ground and any wire. When you find the one that sets the buzzer off or lights your test light mark both wires the same. Use any code you want. Colored tape or brady markers with numbers or tape with a number on it. Then look for the next traveler at the same 3way and do the same thing and mark with a different marking. Now you found the set of travelers between the 4way and that 3way. Now do the exact same thing with the other 3 way and you should wind up with all 4 travelers and hook according to diagram to switch. Then get back to us.

Thanks JT. The instructions were person proof. Except I don't think everything is wired as it should be. When I had the electrician come 6 years ago I wanted him to move one sw from one wall to another and put in a new wire to use on a new light over the island. I think he just put in 2 new wires and didn't bother hooking up the 4 way sw as it should be. I think I'm down to having to call another electrician in to do it right.

Thanks everyone
Jim
Jim
(08-08-2021, 10:52 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks JT. The instructions were person proof. Except I don't think everything is wired as it should be. When I had the electrician come 6 years ago I wanted him to move one sw from one wall to another and put in a new wire to use on a new light over the island. I think he just put in 2 new wires and didn't bother hooking up the 4 way sw as it should be. I think I'm down to having to call another electrician in to do it right.

Thanks everyone
Jim

This would be wise. Good luck.
John T.