Kitchen Build Thread
(08-11-2021, 11:43 AM)Mags® Wrote: Disregard wing nut, apparently he has terrible taste.   
Crazy   Your rendering looks fantastic, and is a vast improvement.  Look forward to the project.   Did mine last year and am so happy with the results.   Having to do the staircase and upstairs now, because the kitchen remodel made the rest look like carp.   Nothing like project creep!

mmm!! sorry for my opinion I guess I do have bad taste.  I just like the look of natural wood.
Have you considered just refacing the boxes and making new doors?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-07-2021, 08:52 AM)mound Wrote: ..continuing..

I think the new layout would work well.  I don't have the same setup, but there are some similarities.  While many people think of the areas to the left and right of the stove as the main prep areas, don't discount the counter opposite of it.  In my kitchen I have the stove against one of the walls, and a large island directly opposite of this.  I find it really nice to have that working area, then can simply turn around to drop stuff onto the stove.  It allows you to simply turn around when doing a bunch of stuff, as opposed to moving laterally.  But this would require you to not put a lot of appliances (coffee maker, toaster, etc.) on that counter.  And keeping that area to the right of the stove mostly clear might be nice as an area to drop stuff when pulling it out of the oven.  And then all the area to the left can be used when you need a lot of prep area for something complicated. 

The walkway clearance around the large counter could get pesky if someone is sitting there, but it would depend on how often people actually sit there/how much it needs to be used as a walkway.  If you are using it as a breakfast nook (you appear to have a separate dining room), then people might just be able to walk between the sink/stove path as opposed to going around if the kitchen isn't typically very busy when someone is sitting there.  

I will say that of the two bar areas I'd probably prefer the one with the sink, but which is best probably is dependent on what you primarily drink.  If you and your family are primarily beer and wine people then you could probably get by without the sink.  But if you like cocktails then that is a long, convoluted path to take to bring some of the stuff to the sink (cocktail shaker, juicer, stirring spoon, etc.).  This could also be a place to drop the coffee maker if you use one (my wife likes coffee and her espresso maker is smack dab in the middle of our kitchen, which makes morning routines a bit more difficult as we need to dance around each other when getting ready.  If it was in a separate bar area that would make things easier).

You will really like having a real vent hood.

Overall I like it (and I'm jealous of the two ovens).

(08-12-2021, 02:32 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: The walkway behind the counter seating looks too tight.  Especially if the chairs are pulled out to a usable position.

We've played with this too with our mockup.. I'm 6'2 and I can pull the chair out far enough that I can sit with my right leg crossed on my left knee, and my wife can still walk behind me. 

Tight? Yah, a bit, but I think it will work.
(08-13-2021, 01:05 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you considered just refacing the boxes and making new doors?

Yup, that was my first line of thought.. Then with the new "pro designed" layout with the way things are re-organized and re-shaped,  I think it'd be simpler to make new boxes rather than trying to repurpose the existing.   I'm going to repurpose all the existing cabinets into the garage workshop
Smile
(08-13-2021, 08:30 AM)msweig Wrote: The walkway clearance around the large counter could get pesky if someone is sitting there, but it would depend on how often people actually sit there/how much it needs to be used as a walkway.  If you are using it as a breakfast nook (you appear to have a separate dining room), then people might just be able to walk between the sink/stove path as opposed to going around if the kitchen isn't typically very busy when someone is sitting there.  

Probably mostly breakfast nook, there is a separate dining room just off the kitchen which we plan to actually use as such (previous home we pretty much lived at the kitchen island)

The space between the island and the sink wall directly lines up with the sliding door to the outside.. So entering and exiting the house to the deck in the backyard wouldn't require any immediate redirection around the island to pass through. There's another set of sliders to the back-yard area in an adjacent room which will likely see the bulk of the traffic if guests are over for backyard events.

(08-13-2021, 08:30 AM)msweig Wrote: I will say that of the two bar areas I'd probably prefer the one with the sink, but which is best probably is dependent on what you primarily drink. 

Agreed.. It's a good mix of beer, wine and cocktails. My wife definitely prefers to have a sink in the wet bar. Good news is there's already water supply in that wall serving a bathroom on the other side of the wall and direct access below in the basement to tie in the drain. Agreed too on a good place for the coffee maker then.

(08-13-2021, 08:30 AM)msweig Wrote: You will really like having a real vent hood.

There was no hood over the range in the original kitchen, previous owners were, lets say "not very neat" and every surface in the kitchen was basically sticky and gross. Vent hood is a must! Good news as well is directly above it, a vent pipe would basically extend up through the back corner of an upstairs bedroom closet (so it could be boxed in/hidden), and could then extend straight up through the roof. (how to install this through the roof and make the vent in the roof weather tight is something I have absolutely no experience with, not even sure which trade I'd call to hire that out?)
(08-12-2021, 05:04 PM)wing nut Wrote: mmm!! sorry for my opinion I guess I do have bad taste.  I just like the look of natural wood.

Nothing to be sorry about! I also like the look of natural wood, so does my wife. She actually showed me this picture the other day and said "can we consider having more natural wood like this in the otherwise white kitchen?"  and so my designer guy is doing another set of renderings for us with more of this look:

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-13-2021, 08:47 AM)mound Wrote: Nothing to be sorry about! I also like the look of natural wood, so does my wife. She actually showed me this picture the other day and said "can we consider having more natural wood like this in the otherwise white kitchen?"  and so my designer guy is doing another set of renderings for us with more of this look:

I like that, but I would do the top cabs the same to.
Another thing that concerns me from a safety perspective is the stove in the middle of the floor like that with so little on the back side to keep people walking by from accidently touching it.  I know it is where it was, it just kinda gives me the heebee geebees to think of the things that could happen there.
I know my renderings look to be full overlay doors and drawers, but what are the thoughts of this group as to pros/cons of full overlay vs. inset but in terms of design and execution?