Kitchen Build Thread
(08-25-2021, 08:24 AM)mound Wrote: I know my renderings look to be full overlay doors and drawers, but what are the thoughts of this group as to pros/cons of full overlay vs. inset but in terms of design and execution?

I've done lot of inset doors and drawers on tables/desks.  If all goes well, they look great.  If you get the spacing wrong in one way or another, they can look like hell.  With a kitchen and big boxes, I think I'd want the flexibilty of the overlay.  A lot of 'tweak' available.
(08-27-2021, 04:59 AM)KC Wrote: I've done lot of inset doors and drawers on tables/desks.  If all goes well, they look great.  If you get the spacing wrong in one way or another, they can look like hell.  With a kitchen and big boxes, I think I'd want the flexibilty of the overlay.  A lot of 'tweak' available.

I agree, though i can't say I' done a "lot"...I've only done my own A  hobbyist. Even so, I've found inset doors to be really nice when everything lines up perfectly, and not a real PITA when it doesn't.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I like the look of inset doors. A few of my own (amateur) observations based on limited experience (about 40 doors/drawers)...
  • Takes a lot more time to get the fitment right. I made my doors slightly oversized and trimmed to fit. The project was my kitchen...I had the time and didn't really care how long it took.
  • Drawer fronts and especially doors need to be really flat. More challenging on larger/taller doors.
  • You do lose 3/4" or so of cabinet depth, so if that matters (like for wider dinner plates) make the boxes deeper to compensate. 
  • Make hinge selection part of the design process to make sure everything works together. 
There's a thread in the WW section about inset hinges worth reading. I'd recommend using hinges that mount to cabinet side walls instead of the back of face frames. DAMHIKT.

Have fun!
(08-27-2021, 08:37 AM)joe1086 Wrote: I'd recommend using hinges that mount to cabinet side walls instead of the back of face frames. DAMHIKT.

Have fun!

I gotta ask how you know this! 

I think we're leaning toward overlay anyway.
(08-27-2021, 08:42 AM)mound Wrote: I gotta ask how you know this! 

I think we're leaning toward overlay anyway.

LOL, 15 years of use...

The face frame hinge mounts don't have as much bearing surface on the face frame/box as the side mounts. Frequently used door screws loosen over time and need to be retightened.
I am going through this right now and working with a designer. Your layout works for you but would not be anything good for me. I too am an all wood guy. I hate painted any wood. Will not be in my house. I told the designer from day one, I could care less what trends are today because tomorrow they will be something else. I want what I want and lets work from that. We have to and she got to know my taste. we are closer to get finalized within 2 weeks. The biggest problem is lead time for cabinets is 22 weeks. Unreal. Fortunately I am in no hurry so will work with whatever needs to be done. Also having the bathroom done and that should be done first because not so much wait times. Make it fit your needs and likes and I know for fact when you sell it will be stripped and started over. Just the nature of things. Good luck.
John T.
Question -  does a heavy stone top (granite or quartz) need any additional support above the dishwasher aside from the two end panels (3/4" ply) which are spaced 24" apart from each other?
(08-29-2021, 10:20 AM)mound Wrote: Question -  does a heavy stone top (granite or quartz) need any additional support above the dishwasher aside from the two end panels (3/4" ply) which are spaced 24" apart from each other?

No.  

If you’re dealing with a brittle stone like some marble and quartzite ( fiberglassed on bottom ) you can ask your fabricator to kerf the bottom and epoxy in some metal bar or carbon fiber rods.
Not sure if it's needed but we always put one of these in to secure the dishwasher https://www.amazon.com/Dishwasher-Mounti...6618&psc=1
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(08-29-2021, 01:34 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: No.  

If you’re dealing with a brittle stone like some marble and quartzite ( fiberglassed on bottom ) you can ask your fabricator to kerf the bottom and epoxy in some metal bar or carbon fiber rods.

excellent idea!