Kitchen Build Thread
  Re: RE: Kitchen Build Thread by mound (I know my renderings...)
(08-25-2021, 08:24 AM)mound Wrote: I know my renderings look to be full overlay doors and drawers, but what are the thoughts of this group as to pros/cons of full overlay vs. inset but in terms of design and execution?

We have inset doors (built by a professional cabinet shop, not me) and we really like the look.  The big "however" here though is that you see every dent and ding that you put into the face frames as you are loading and unloading the cabinets with your pans and dishes.  And those marks show even with the door closed.  With full overlay you will get the same dents and dings but they are covered up once you close the cabinet door.  Not trying to talk you out of it.  Just wanting you to decide with full awareness.
  Re: RE: Kitchen Build Thread by BrentDH ([quote='mound' pid='...)
(08-30-2021, 04:35 PM)BrentDH Wrote: We have inset doors (built by a professional cabinet shop, not me) and we really like the look.  The big "however" here though is that you see every dent and ding that you put into the face frames as you are loading and unloading the cabinets with your pans and dishes.  And those marks show even with the door closed.  With full overlay you will get the same dents and dings but they are covered up once you close the cabinet door.  Not trying to talk you out of it.  Just wanting you to decide with full awareness.

Good point...
  Re: Kitchen Build Thread by mound (I haven't posted any...)
For this project, if it were you all, would you do integral toe-kicks or build standalone bases ("ladder frame box") for each of the 3 main cabinet sections (appliance wall, sink wall and island)

If it makes a difference, I'm thinking of working in some toe-kick drawers where they can fit well.

edit: Kinda leaning toward the ladder-frame so that the actual cabinet can extend on the open end faces just beyond the base, purely for the aesthetic.. I've checked the floors in the kitchen, there are no huge concerns about leveling things.