Best place for 8/4 Sapele
Building a dining room table for my middle daughter and SIL. They've picked sapele for the top so I need to find a supplier for 8/4 x 96" stock.

Anyplace you'd recommend?

Thanks
Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(08-08-2021, 01:41 PM)cpolubin Wrote: Building a dining room table for my middle daughter and SIL. They've picked sapele for the top so I need to find a supplier for 8/4 x 96" stock.

Anyplace you'd recommend?

Thanks
Cliff

last time i bought 8/4 sapele, i got it from mcilvain in MD.  granted, it was 1800 bdft, but they had a lot of it.  very nice stuff.
Call Rare Woods in Mexico, Maine. 207-364-1520 Bob usually answers the phone but anyone there can help you. They're not showing a lot of sapele online but I doubt they have 1% of their inventory cataloged for online orders. We were there 2 weeks ago, they are well stocked.

g

g(207) 364 1520(207) 364 1520(207) 364 1520
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Check L.L.Johnson Lumber, Charlotte, MI.

www.theworkbench.com
CR Mutterspaw has it ... HERE is a link to their 8/4 lumber pack stock.
It's my favorite wood, and my local supplier (CP Johnson Lumber) keeps a better stock of that that any other exotic and even some domestics. 8/4 is usually available, and I don't think I've ever seen a length shorter than 9'.

I have never had a problem with wane, straightness, figure, or anything like that. It's good wood. It's not close to you, but they do have a good selection and I'm sure freight could be arranged.
Check L.L.Johnson Lumber, Charlotte, MI.

http://www.theworkbench.com
-_-_-_-_-_-

They're just under 2 hours north, which is doable. I called and they've got 8/4 16' in stock at 8.28 bf.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Drove up to L. L. Johnson yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation. They were easy to deal with and had a roomful of stock. Came back with 8/4 sapele, 1 - 17'x16", 1 - 17'x15" and 1 - 16'x7". Just over 100 bf which dropped the price from 8.28/bf to 6.35/bf. They cut them in half for me so I could get them into the back of the truck.

My SIL is taking 60 bf for his table top and I took the rest to have some stock.

Attached Files Image(s)

Charles Bukowski