Shop Layout Software?
We’ve recently moved from SoCal to Charlotte, NC and I’m getting ready to build the new shop. It will be a 30 x 45 garage, and I have the initial drawings in hand. Once I get HOA approval I’ll get engineered and then we can start building.

In the meantime, I’m looking for a reasonably simple shop design program. The Grizzly layout tool I remember from years ago is no longer available, and I’ve always had a hard time getting comfortable with Sketchup. Are there any other simple ones that are out there that could help me get a rough layout? I want to place the machines so I know where to put the in-floor and other electrical, as well as start thinking about the dust collection layout.

Thanks, John
I used MS Visio, worked well.
Ok, dumb question, you have to get HOA approval to build on your property?
Thanks - maybe I’ll look into Visio. Not a dumb question, and yes - it’s a lake community with an HOA. As long as the structure looks like the house and we don’t encroach on setbacks (100’ from front and 40’ from back) it’s pretty much a rubber stamp, which we made sure of before moving here.
I used both sketchup and an on-line app from a dealer but ended up with cardboard cut-outs and a grid on a large piece of paper.

Both made fine drawings but couldn't beat the tactile connection of moving pieces of lumber around and working on workflow.

Nothing except the doors are where the drawings put them
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
http://www.sweethome3d.com/

Wouldn't call it simple but it works.  Depends on your level of computer literacy but like any it has a learning curve

I had to import models (free) for machines from 3d warehouse. Currently using it to layout my new shop and out new house.  I am drawing the plans myself but this is great for layout and visualizing.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks