Threaded end on a brace-type auger bit
I was going through an old pile of auger bits looking for one to fit my power drill and ran across a unique specimen. This 18" double-helix auger is equipped with a brace end but also has a threaded portion. I've looked closely but cannot find a maker's mark or brand. It seems to me the thread is manufactured in rather than home built because the brace taper looks complete. I only found threaded drill bits referenced for impact usage and I don't think this is that. 

Anybody got some more information on what this is intended for? Worth anything?

Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Is it possible that someone threaded it for a specific purpose?

Obviously not as old, but treaded drill bits used in aviation a lot. 10-24 was the thread size for most of them.
Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-09-2021, 01:16 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..

That is it.  They are called a barn auger bit.    Normally the square taper was forced into a hole in the handle and pulled tight with the nut.  Roly
(08-09-2021, 01:16 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..

YES! This being a barn auger bit on a handle makes complete sense.  I don't need to use that but will display it.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(08-09-2021, 01:22 PM)Roly Wrote: That is it.  They are called a barn auger bit.    Normally the square taper was forced into a hole in the handle and pulled tight with the nut.  Roly

^ This - a bit that large needs more leverage than your standard brace can deliver comfortably so T handle can make the going a little easier.