Need help identifying Miller Falls plane
Anyone know when this may have been built?  It has some sort of plastic handles and the body is painted grey (no japanning) so I think it is newer.  

(08-09-2021, 03:24 PM)dcurrit Wrote: Anyone know when this may have been built?  It has some sort of plastic handles and the body is painted grey (no japanning) so I think it is newer.  

With the exception of the lever cap, it looks like the (made by MF) Craftsman-branded planes sold by Sears (right down to the striations milled into the cheeks).

You've posted a photo of one cheek - - is anything stamped on the bottom edge of the side you haven't posted a photo of?

Also, what's stamped on the iron?
Thanks!  I bet you are correct that the body is from a Craftsman plane.  There are no markings on the body except for "Made in USA" but I had not thought to look at the iron.  It says "Stanley" with SW inside a heart.  So My guess is that it is cobbled together from spare parts - Craftsman body, Miller Falls cap and Stanley Sweatheart Iron.  For all that, it works surprisingly well.  Still, will probably give it away.
(08-09-2021, 07:36 PM)dcurrit Wrote: Thanks!  I bet you are correct that the body is from a Craftsman plane.  There are no markings on the body except for "Made in USA" but I had not thought to look at the iron.  It says "Stanley" with SW inside a heart.  So My guess is that it is cobbled together from spare parts - Craftsman body, Miller Falls cap and Stanley Sweatheart Iron.  For all that, it works surprisingly well.  Still, will probably give it away.

I believe this is correct: great MF cap, excellent blade, good body. I'd sharpen it and use it.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A while back I was restoring a Millers Falls plane for a friend.
In doing some research I found this website which has a lot of good Millers Falls information.
It may not help you in the case of your hand plane but it's still interesting and may be helpful in the future.
https://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtable.htm
Frog looks like the same ones Stanley used on their Handyman line of planes....Stanley then used those parts to make planes for Sears.   Area under the front knob is flat, unlike the "hump" under a Millers Falls made base casting...
Sears began requiring frogs to be painted red......after a while it then became a plane RED lever cap, with SEARS in black letters stenciled across it...

Someone took the Lever cap off of a Millers Falls plane....and the knobs off a newer type 5 Millers Falls plane.....There would have been a Phillips headed bolt in the frog, both to secure the "frog" and for the one-piece lever cap to grab onto....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The valuable part of the plane is the lever cap.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com