How would you frame this?
It's an old drawing from a relative...maybe 50 yrs old.  Would you treat it as a regular pic or more of a shadow box type thing?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I would try with various types, regular and shadow box with some scrap, th when you find the look you want, make the frame from some old, weathered wood that has some character.
Just my opinion, but I would not frame with fresh, new wood.
You can go either way.  I am surprised it has lasted this long.  The corrugated is not archival and I would have thought it would have broken down by now. 

Whichever way you go, hang it somewhere that is not exposed to sunlight or fluorescent lights.  A great place for smaller pictures is along a stairway.  It allows close inspection of small images.

I think I would use a shadow box.

I used to be a picture framer, so adjust according to what is available to you. 

I would create a frame about 3" larger than the cardboard.  I would cut a piece of mat board to fit inside the frame and back it with a piece of mounting board for additional stiffness.

For mounting the art, I would attach mounting blocks to the rear of the art about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.  Then center and attach to the mat board.

I would use molding about 3" deep.    I would line the interior of the molding with 2-1/2" strips of the mounting board followed by the mat board.  Make sure to use deep enough rabbets to hide all the mounting board. 

The mounting board/mat board perimeter will act as a spacer for the art mounted on the mat board.  First, install the glass, then the perimeter boards, then rest the art on the perimeter boards and fix with points or small brads. 

Add a dust cover and hanging wire and you are done. I might use a burgundy mat board for contrast, but any rich color is good.

I would note that wood is high in tannins and that is very destructive to art.  But the art itself is on corrugated and that is almost self-destructive. 

Shellac will protect the art from direct contact with wood.  If you decide to mount this on wood, apply some seal coat to the wood first to protect the art.   

This site has some decent illustrations that can be helpful:  https://www.metroframe.com/shadow-box-picture-frames/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Depends upon where it’s going.
Maybe make it fit the surroundings.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I agree with Gary, don’t over think it or overdo it.
I'm thinking shadowbox but the big thing to me is to make sure there is an explanation of why it is framed.

We've got my FIL's schoolbook with his name (and others) on the inside cover.  Rest of book is in bad shape so we're just going to shadow box the sheet of names.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks for all the responses.  I decided to make a standing frame.  I figure when I give it to my dad he'll put it on a bookcase.

Screwed up my splines but too late now.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Looks like the splines were as intended to me.
Wink

Looks good!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Looks like it has been personalized...anyone can buy a "perfect" cookie cutter frame...
Nicely done.
Looks good; the splines look fine.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.