Need advice on working with reclaimed lumber
My son would like me to build him a table using reclaimed lumber.  My problem is that it seems like I would have to plane off the surface to get the table flat and that would ruin the "reclaimed" look.  I have make a couple of tables and a bench out of reclaimed lumber before and ended up planing them to get them flat.  They still looked kind of rustic but lost a lot of the weathering.  I think he wants to keep more of the reclaimed look.  Any suggestions?
You can plane the lumber flat as usual and finish it to look more rustic. You can find such technique by Googling.

Another approach is to find the best planks available (minimal twist, cup, bow, etc.), and edge joint them into a flat panel with the help biscuits or dominoes or splines. I probably would use clamping cauls to keep the panel flat during glue up as well. Depending on what you'll use it for, you can hold the panel down and flat with suitable fasteners while allowing for wood movement.

Planing both faces only slightly without completely destroying the character may also be a possible option, depending on the reclaimed lumber in question.

Simon