Air Conditioner condenser in garage
I am having a two condencer Diakin"mini split"  heat/ac system installed in my home.  One condencer is outside, the other is to be in my basement garage on the sunny side of the house.  Do you think there will be much heat generated in my garage? This condencer  (18000 btu) does 2 large rooms. The system uses tubes not ductwork. 
The installer said it may go up a few degrees. 

My concern is that the the room over the garage getting heated or the hardwood floor getting overly warm and damaged.

Thank you
Paul
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(08-14-2021, 02:18 PM)paulmaine Wrote: I am having a two condencer Diakin"mini split"  heat/ac system installed in my home.  One condencer is outside, the other is to be in my basement garage on the sunny side of the house.  Do you think there will be much heat generated in my garage? This condencer  (18000 btu) does 2 large rooms. The system uses tubes not ductwork. 
The installer said it may go up a few degrees. 

My concern is that the the room over the garage getting heated or the hardwood floor getting overly warm and damaged.

Thank you
Paul

You should fire the installer and get someone who knows what they are doing.  18000 BTU's will be going into your garage.  That is a huge amount and the temp. is going to increase by a lot more than "a few degrees".  That's like running a 5 kw heater in there.  No way you should put a condenser in a garage or any other unvented space.  

John
Like John, doesn't sound like a good, approved method to me.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The energy it moves from the living space to the condenser unit in the garage, plus the energy it uses to do that, will end up in the garage.  That's a lot of heat.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(08-15-2021, 04:26 PM)TDKPE Wrote: The energy it moves from the living space to the condenser unit in the garage, plus the energy it uses to do that, will end up in the garage.  That's a lot of heat.

How do mini splits handle the condensate ?  If it also goes in garage that is a problem.   Roly
(08-15-2021, 04:35 PM)Roly Wrote: How do mini splits handle the condensate ?  If it also goes in garage that is a problem.   Roly

To Roly and all.

The water is to go to a newly drilled hole in the garage floor, similar to the way my propane burner does. 
Thanks to all and I am awaiting more opinions.

Paul
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
OK, here’s mine:

Get another installer.
VH07V  
Your installer is wrong, it won't be a few degrees. My mom bought a house that had a window AC installed in the wall between the garage and the living room so all the heat from it (10K BTU, IIRC) went into the garage. In this case it was a single story house so there wasn't all that much impact on another room...but I can tell you on warm days her garage was hot. So much so, you really couldn't do anything in there.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
As an HVAC Engineer, I must agree with everyone else. If you only had a carport and had no plans to enclose it, the original plan would be OK. Unless you plan to leave the garage door open 24/7 during the spring/summer months or have an AC unit for for the garage that is sized to move not only the heat gain in the garage but also from this new condenser, then this is not a good idea.  Even with those two "solutions", its not a good idea, IMHO. Unless this is an exceptionally large garage, if the installer can get it into the garage, then it should not be too much more pipe to go from the garage through an external wall to the outside. If the contractor is worried the length of pipe for the refrigerant is longer than the recommended lengths, most manufacturers provide instructions on how to install with longer than recommended runs just for these situations.  Not sure what is outside the backside of your garage, but if you're afraid of someone running into it with toys or lawn care equipment, you can have it mounted on the garage wall, high enough to avoid that.

Good luck,
Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(08-15-2021, 02:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You should fire the installer and get someone who knows what they are doing.  18000 BTU's will be going into your garage.  That is a huge amount and the temp. is going to increase by a lot more than "a few degrees".  That's like running a 5 kw heater in there.  No way you should put a condenser in a garage or any other unvented space.  

John

Actually, my 5KW Heater is only 17K BTUs.  
Sarcasm

OP, to put that in perspective, my heater runs maybe 10% of the time to keep a one car -uninsulated- garage at 65 degrees in the dead of winter.

The posters above advising you to fire your installer are 100% correct.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13