Base Cabinet Platform
I'm building a built-in bookshelf next to the stairs in my house that will act as the railing for those stairs. My plan is to build platforms for the shelf pieces to sit. I will mount the platforms the floor, making sure they are straight and level, then mount the bookshelf units to the platforms.

This would be similar to making a platform to Base cabinets, but I've never actually done that before. I thought I would make it essentially a plywood torsion box, but I think that might be more complex than necessary. Looking online, I see a lot of platforms just made out of 2x4s, but getting straight 2x4s can be a pain. Maybe plywood toe kicks and backs with 2x4 sleepers?

Also, how do you normally attach them to the floor? Since this bookshelf will also act as the railing, it needs to be strong. If I use 2x4 sleepers, attaching the bookshelf to that is simple.

Any tips or pictures would be appreciated. I'll have to post some pictures of my progress, I think it is going to turn out nice.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Buy 2x6's and joint and rip straight.
I used pocket screws when I built toe kick height (4") bases under kitchen cabinets.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Did you use pocket screws to attach to the floor as well?
Yes. And I used longer screws other than the normal 1-1/4---1-1/2" pocket screws.
Any type of #7 or 8 wood screw

And use
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I advise against construction lumber unless you know it to be really, really dry.  I much prefer two layers of 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed together.  Very flat, straight, and stable.  Once the base is in place, you can level it with cedar or plastic shims with some construction adhesive to keep them from moving.  Then screw the base to the floor using wood blocks (with glue) or metal angle brackets.  

John
I actually do have enough 2x4 or 2x6 lumber that's been in my shop for over a year to build a platform. I always keep a few on hand so I don't have to run into town if I need a 2x4 for something.
I call these "ladders" and I've heard other call them the same.

I make them from scrap 3/4" plywood.  Confirmat screws make good joints in plywood and I recommend them.  Faster than pocket holes and a strong joint. 

I usually end up with narrow widths on plywood scrap when building cabinets.  These are dimensionally stable.  I would be reluctant to use construction lumber for this.  I find they often warp or twist over time.

If you use lots of these confirmats, then Woodworkers Express at und 4¢ each.  https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/confir...gIm0fD_BwE

Or 50¢ each in small lots from Rockler.  https://www.rockler.com/confirmat-screws...gKsG_D_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.