Inset Hinge Suggestion
This is the Blum inset that I am familiar with for face frames. this is more easily installed on the face frame prior to attachment to the box or after attachment to the box but before the back panel is installed.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480921731]

And inset with frameless.  I will be retro-fitting doors to a 12" deep cabinet that is already assembled.  It will be very difficult to install the face frame hinges in that cabinet, so I will add mounting blocks to mimic the frameless installation.
[Image: CS-Blum-hinge-adj-tab-release.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-17-2021, 11:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: This is the Blum inset that I am familiar with for face frames. this is more easily installed on the face frame prior to attachment to the box or after attachment to the box but before the back panel is installed.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480921731]

And inset with frameless.  I will be retro-fitting doors to a 12" deep cabinet that is already assembled.  It will be very difficult to install the face frame hinges in that cabinet, so I will add mounting blocks to mimic the frameless installation.
[Image: CS-Blum-hinge-adj-tab-release.jpg]

Thanks this helps out and Yes it is the first hinge that I am in need of I think.  Is the below it?  

https://www.amazon.com/BLUMOTION-Soft-Cl...491&sr=8-3

Is there some place else I could buy them more reasonably?  I probably need around 20
The cheapest source for Blum hinges I've found is AH Turf.  The best source for Blum information is, imagine that, Blum.  But you can find most of the info on Blum's products at Woodworker's Hardware.  

If your faceframe overlaps the cabinet on the inside by 1/2" you won't be able to use the faceframe mounting plates because they need at least 9/16", so you will need to pad out the inside of the cabinet so it's flush with the faceframe and use frameless cabinet mounting plates..  The good news with that approach is you have more options and all of them are more rigid than the faceframe mounting plates.  

You have two basic options for inset doors.  Either use a half cranked hinge with a 9 mm mounting plate, or a fully cranked hinge with a 0 mm mounting plate.  

John
I agree with jteneyck.  The two sources he quoted are the among the most competitive. 

AH Turf's website is a pain to browse with.  So use another site to pin down the exact model you want.

I also recommend Woodworkers Express.  Very competitive and an easy to use website.  But be aware they will send you twice weekly emails on sales items for the rest of your life. 

But still, they are my preferred source.   But also be aware that they list "804" hidden hinge options.  A lot to wade through.  Rockler's site is easy to use.  I would figure out what I wanted from Rockler's site and then shop.

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/cabine...t-systems/
(08-17-2021, 07:17 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If your faceframe overlaps the cabinet on the inside by 1/2" you won't be able to use the faceframe mounting plates because they need at least 9/16", so you will need to pad out the inside of the cabinet so it's flush with the faceframe and use frameless cabinet mounting plates..  The good news with that approach is you have more options and all of them are more rigid than the faceframe mounting plates.  (emphasis added by Joe)

Fifteen years ago I installed 14 pairs of these Blum inset face frame mounted hinges. In use there is a lot of stress on the mounting brackets and in our most used doors the screws on the back of the face frame tend to loosen and need occasional retightening....not ideal and a royal pain if the screw holes ever get stripped. 

If I were to make new kitchen cabinets (which will never happen) I'd pad the sides out and use a different hinge mount that can be attached much more securely.
(08-20-2021, 08:53 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Fifteen years ago I installed 14 pairs of these Blum inset face frame mounted hinges. In use there is a lot of stress on the mounting brackets and in our most used doors the screws on the back of the face frame tend to loosen and need occasional retightening....not ideal and a royal pain if the screw holes ever get stripped. 

If I were to make new kitchen cabinets (which will never happen) I'd pad the sides out and use a different hinge mount that can be attached much more securely.

Lately I have switched to dowel mount hinges from Blum.  The plastic dowels are replaceable and stripping the screw holes is a problem left in the rear view mirror.  (Buy a bag of extra dowels and keep them on hand).

[Image: 46577-02-1000.jpg]
(08-23-2021, 07:56 AM)Cooler Wrote: Lately I have switched to dowel mount hinges from Blum.  The plastic dowels are replaceable and stripping the screw holes is a problem left in the rear view mirror.  (Buy a bag of extra dowels and keep them on hand).

[Image: 46577-02-1000.jpg]

Thanks again Everyone for the responses this helps.  @Cooler when you say you build a mounting block.  Do you have an example of that?  I am wondering how big does one make it to accommodate and does it look silly?  

Last, do you guys have a jig you use for these or build by chance when you have to mount a bunch?  I don't have that many but the number seems to be growing. In addition since they are inset I am looking for any alignment tips one might have likely using the block idea.
(08-23-2021, 01:49 PM)bline22 Wrote: Thanks again Everyone for the responses this helps.  @Cooler when you say you build a mounting block.  Do you have an example of that?  I am wondering how big does one make it to accommodate and does it look silly?  

Last, do you guys have a jig you use for these or build by chance when you have to mount a bunch?  I don't have that many but the number seems to be growing.  In addition since they are inset I am looking for any alignment tips one might have likely using the block idea.

Don't forget you have a 1/2" overlay, not just a inset hinge.  Roly
(08-23-2021, 03:43 PM)Roly Wrote: Don't forget you have a 1/2" overlay, not just a inset hinge.  Roly

I think what the OP meant was that the faceframe overlays the cabinet side by 1/2".  That's why he needs to add a 1/2" piece of wood to the inside of the cabinet side to mount the hinges to.  From there it's a straight application for an inset hinge.  

John
(08-23-2021, 08:40 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I think what the OP meant was that the faceframe overlays the cabinet side by 1/2".  That's why he needs to add a 1/2" piece of wood to the inside of the cabinet side to mount the hinges to.  From there it's a straight application for an inset hinge.  

John

Ok , I read it to be 1/2" overlay doors.  After reading it again I agree with you. Roly