Inset Hinge Suggestion
Hello,

Building out some inset doors.  I haven't built them before.  I am as far as having built a face frame around the cabinet carcass.  I have approximately 1/2 overlay from the face frame to the cabinet carcass.  I hope that makes sense.  I started maybe without having my ducks in a row but wonder, what hidden hinge options do I have that are not an arm and a leg?  I don't need soft close but would be ideal.  Any thoughts or suggestions on how i can do this or do i need to start fresh?

Thanks.
I buy my hinges in bulk so it's probably cheaper, but Blum soft close 1/2" overlay are great. Adjustable several different ways for alignment and close speed and fully concealed. I think mine were about $1.50 per hinge in a pack of 50. Hard to beat.
(08-16-2021, 02:31 PM)FS7 Wrote: I buy my hinges in bulk so it's probably cheaper, but Blum soft close 1/2" overlay are great. Adjustable several different ways for alignment and close speed and fully concealed. I think mine were about $1.50 per hinge in a pack of 50. Hard to beat.

Thanks for the quick response.  Can you use these same hinges for an inset door?  Also, is that price for soft close too?
I have made several inset doors over the last 4 years.  They were for a dozen or so church projects.  Buying in bulk would have saved big dollars.

I'm a hobbiest so take my advice with a grain of salt.  In most cases I had to mill a block of wood to glue to the cabinet wall to mount the Eourpean style hinge.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(08-16-2021, 03:49 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I have made several inset doors over the last 4 years.  They were for a dozen or so church projects.  Buying in bulk would have saved big dollars.

I'm a hobbiest so take my advice with a grain of salt.  In most cases I had to mill a block of wood to glue to the cabinet wall to mount the Eourpean style hinge.

Thanks as well for the response and that is what I was thinking too that worst case this would be what I have to do.  Not the end of the world but not ideal but wanted to check.   Which hinge did you use by chance and where do you guys buy in bulk?  Also, when you say bulk are we talking 10 hinges or 100?
I used Woodcraft's store brand soft close hinge; don't remember the price.  Bulk is 100 pieces I think.  But this morning I found these on Amazon: 10pcs European Inset Soft Close Cabinet Hinges - 110 Degree Stainless Steel Door Hinges with Hinge Cover Plates, Screws are Included for less than $50.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
There are some good how-to-fit-inset-doors articles and videos out there. One of the better articles is this one from FineWoodworking. You need a subscription to get to it, or sign up for a free trial.
As I recall the Blum inset door hinges for face frame mount on the inside of the face frame.  It is much easier to do this before the back is applied, or before the face frame is attached to the box.

I am going to mount some inset doors on already-built 12" deep cabinets with face frames.  I will add blocks to the sides and use euro-style (frameless) inset hinges.  Much easier to mount.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Blum makes a plate for the inset hinges that mounts to the edge of the face frame. That way you don't have to put a block inside the face frame. I have done it both ways both work fine.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(08-17-2021, 10:36 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: Blum makes a plate for the inset hinges that mounts to the edge of the face frame. That way you don't have to put a block inside the face frame. I have done it both ways both work fine.

Do you have a link to this hinge by chance?  @Cooler which hinge will you be using out of curiosity and could you send a link as well?

Boy wish I could use 100 but that is more then I think i would use.  bummer