trouble with antler
Daughter's step son has turned into a very fine young man despite  some earlier problems. Going to college for electrical engineering, working and any free time he has he is in the woods hunting, fishing. Keeps everyone well supplied with game. Just dropped off a nice mess of crappie all cleaned and ready for the pan. Guess what's for supper. 

Anyway daughter wants to give him a pen and a razor set made out of antler. In comes dear old dad. She gave me a set of antlers he had found. I have done a lot of research and got the parts. If my understanding is right the smaller spikes are the better to use, not as porous. I'm having trouble lining up the curved pieces to drill and come out wrong or to thin on the end. Any suggestions. 

Also what is a good finish for antler. Thank you.
The closer you get to the end point the more it is bent, you need a big enough piece to make straight. I take the selected piece to the edge sander to make it close to round before drilling, then square up the ends a bit long. use a sharp bit and drill slow speed. finishing with micromesh and buffing.  no real need for a top coat antler will shine with buffing.

you can also use the natural curve and just sand the rough edges off a bit.  This one I drilled by hand and hammered in the tang.

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(08-16-2021, 05:35 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I'm having trouble lining up the curved pieces to drill and come out wrong or to thin on the end. Any suggestions. 

Also what is a good finish for antler. Thank you.

I chuck the pieces in the vise and hand drill. Take your time and double check your progress. On extreme pieces I pencil in guide lines to help me follow.

I like to use a slow turned CA finish for antler. First one I made was used enough that it absorbed oil, sweat and grime from the users hand. Since then I have made sure the porous surface is sealed.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget