AC pipes are forming ice, freezing and dripping on basement floor
(08-18-2021, 08:33 AM)mound Wrote: Just settling into a new house, AC is cranking..

I noticed a row of water on the floor in the basement mechanicals room: 

There's a pipe extending out of the air handler which has some sort of black foam insulation surrounding it, as well as a thinner cooper pipe that follows along side it (the two are strapped together)

At various points along the pipe, and at the air handler, there are actually chunks of snow/ice forming and further away from the handler, water is dripping.. Obviously condensation, which tells me this pipe isn't property insulated.. What's the right way to fix this?

Do you run the unit with the air on and fan rnning constant?  (not good) When it reaches the desired temp it should all shut down to defrost.
Regards, 
Bill
Do you run the unit with the air on and fan rnning constant?  (not good) When it reaches the desired temp it should all shut down to defrost

Absolutely incorrect.  An AC should never need to defrost.  A properly operating air conditioner will never drop any part below the freezing point of water, it can drop below the dew point of the air surrounding.  Condensation can be a normal result, ice never is.  As to shutting down the air handler, that can hide early signs of malfunction by melting ice before it becomes an obvious problem.  Defrosting and hiding symptoms.  There are many reasons to run an air handler on continuously.  
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-24-2021, 08:57 PM)blackhat Wrote: Do you run the unit with the air on and fan rnning constant?  (not good) When it reaches the desired temp it should all shut down to defrost

Absolutely incorrect.  An AC should never need to defrost.  A properly operating air conditioner will never drop any part below the freezing point of water, it can drop below the dew point of the air surrounding.  Condensation can be a normal result, ice never is.  As to shutting down the air handler, that can hide early signs of malfunction by melting ice before it becomes an obvious problem.  Defrosting and hiding symptoms.  There are many reasons to run an air handler on continuously.  

Well, that confuses me, my installer that has been servicing us for almost 30 years said not to run the fan on constant rather let it cycle with the unit reaching desired temp indoors and shutting down till the indoor heat triggers the thermostat to back on.  Compressor running=blower fan running not separate. ?  There has been a day or two that no heat was blowing out of the outdoor unit and the house was getting warm.   The installer said to turn everything off about 30 minutes or so before he arrives to troubleshoot.  So your saying leave the fan on constant and let the thermostat cycle as needed???  Help.
Bill

Bill
(08-25-2021, 07:02 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: Well, that confuses me, my installer that has been servicing us for almost 30 years said not to run the fan on constant rather let it cycle with the unit reaching desired temp indoors and shutting down till the indoor heat triggers the thermostat to back on.  Compressor running=blower fan running not separate. ?  There has been a day or two that no heat was blowing out of the outdoor unit and the house was getting warm.   The installer said to turn everything off about 30 minutes or so before he arrives to troubleshoot.  So your saying leave the fan on constant and let the thermostat cycle as needed???  Help.
Bill

Bill

The service folks haven't visited my house yet, but when I was on the phone with them, I was told I should leave the fan "always on"  regardless if actively heating or cooling, to better circulate air.
Every system is different because people have different perceptions of comfort and different lifestyles. Add in renos to a house and.....    The airhandler fan should be capable of independent operation, most newer equipment will have a low speed circulate capability. The indoor fan should always be running when the outdoor section of an AC is running although some have short time delays and or fan speed ramping. Continuous fan circulation can help with a lot of issues, evening out temp differences between parts of the home being a big one. 
As for turning it off before a tech arrives, that’s a common request we make. If a system is starting to ice up, it cannot be repaired until the ice is gone. It also allows components that may have overheated to cool. It’s a convenience for the tech and can save time and money.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-25-2021, 11:01 AM)blackhat Wrote: Continuous fan circulation can help with a lot of issues, evening out temp differences between parts of the home being a big one. 
As for turning it off before a tech arrives, that’s a common request we make. If a system is starting to ice up, it cannot be repaired until the ice is gone. It also allows components that may have overheated to cool. It’s a convenience for the tech and can save time and money.

This is exactly what the service company told me as well.
(08-25-2021, 11:01 AM)blackhat Wrote: Every system is different because people have different perceptions of comfort and different lifestyles. Add in renos to a house and.....    The airhandler fan should be capable of independent operation, most newer equipment will have a low speed circulate capability. The indoor fan should always be running when the outdoor section of an AC is running although some have short time delays and or fan speed ramping. Continuous fan circulation can help with a lot of issues, evening out temp differences between parts of the home being a big one. 

Thanks for the correct information Mr. Blackhat.   I left  the fan running constantly today and it reduced the temperature "spike" indoors and the temperature stayed at a lower level all day with full sun and 91 OAT.  Appreciate your help.
Regards,
Bill Bob