Overhead blade guard
I am trying to move my shark guard from the riving knife mounted to overhead mount.  I have the tailfin in hand.  I am looking at using Unistrut or super strut.

Neither is available nearby so I need to figure out which parts are needed so I can order them.  The setups I see illustrated on the Sharkguard web site shows the strut mounted from the ceiling with a knob and other piece of metal coming down from there.  I am looking for suggestions on the knobs and the metal bar that goes inside the strut.

This is what I am looking to emulate.

https://www.thesharkguard.com/tail-fin-o...tructions/
A carpenter's house is never done.
Not sure precisely what you're looking, but I'm guessing you can find it at either Rockler or Incra - can recommend both based on past experiences.

Doug
I've been thinking of doing this for my Uni. The over-arm guard support is designed to be bolted to the bottom of the table, and I've never mounted it due to restrictions of ripping sheet stock. I checked out the link you provided and it doesn't appear like like they've given much consideration to where it's mounted to the ceiling. In my mind, I think the mounting point has to be in front of the blade so the forces of a kick-back event would be directed towards lifting the ceiling vs. bending the top bracket using a 4' to 8' lever.

So, to your question; Have you considered pipe? One inch black iron pipe is quite strong, as are malleable fittings (vs. cast iron). I'm thinking a tee with three 1' nipples,( all horizontal at the ceiling), 6 or 8 two hole straps, and  a 90* elbow for the "down-rod" (length to be determined on site). If you want vertical adjustment, 3/4" black iron pipe fits inside 1" sched. 40 with a few thousandths to spare. Drill and tap the 1" for set-screws, then file a "V" at your favorite locations. I'm sure you can figure out a way to mount you particular guard, which may be as simple as cutting a slot and drilling for a few through bolts. The only thing missing is a beefy diagonal brace to direct "kick-back forces" towards the ceiling pivot point.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Not trying to hijack a thread, but has anyone seen an overhead guard support where the arm itself was the dust collection duct as well?
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I mounted a guard on an inverted light stand that I hung from the joist above.  It was very handy, but it was prone to twisting out of alignment with the blade and I took it down. 

I'm sure that there is an answer to this issue somehow, but I was not sufficiently invested in the idea to solve the problem.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-18-2021, 09:33 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Not trying to hijack a thread, but has anyone seen an overhead guard support where the arm itself was the dust collection duct as well?

Like this?   2 1/2" stick of conduit.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=32466]
(08-18-2021, 09:33 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Not trying to hijack a thread, but has anyone seen an overhead guard support where the arm itself was the dust collection duct as well?

Years ago I bought a plastic guard with an 1-1/2" or so nipple for dust collection. I use the guard when sawing mdf because of the dust created.
Penn State sold this with a contraption to hold the guard over the blade  without interference . I only bought the guard and mounted it on a device from the bottom of a plywood box that holds a box fan and filters. I tried to find the guard I bought on their website. Apparently Penn State and MCLS a sister store do not carry this item anymore. You could make a saw guard from plexiglas sheet stock, probably least expensive. A search for joining plexglas will show you a simple way to do this. I have done this twice for display cases for old time model cars. Worked well.
Try a search for overhead saw guards, theirs plenty to choose from.
mike
[attachment=37285 Wrote:mike4244 pid='8010420' dateline='1629416142']

Here's one I designed and built a few years ago.  Modular so it could be mounted on the saw, ceiling or floor.  Even lets you switch out the blade basket etc.

Attached Files Image(s)