Is there such a thing as pvc stair railing?
I need to install some hand rails on some exterior stairs and all I can find is wood which rots way too fast. I’m toying with the idea of using pvc pipe, but not sure about attaching it. Also need to make returns to meet code. 
I looked at the aluminum ones and they are way to expensive!
VH07V  
There is, but whether it will meet any codes and be available in paradise is unknowm to me. Here's an example that Lowes has.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I will have to check on the manufacture, but the rails on our deck are solid pvc, composite, and profiled to look like a wood upper rail.
Much better than pvc pipe....
To clarify, you're talking about hand rails not guard rails. The alum. handrails with pvc sleeves are a real PIA. the straights are fine and the 90* are almost bearable but the other angles necessary to meet code don't stay at the intended angle and the miters open and close causing blood blisters. There are returns available that also act as a mounting point but you have to plan ahead and place the bottom post one tread beyond the last step but then guard rails look silly. Not sure if it's better or worse than a loop return at $100+.

I've done some by bending all the rails out of 1/2"E.M.T. and having a muffler shop duplicate them.  I've made several using sched. 40 PVC. I kept the bends from kinking by using an overhead door spring inside and heating. (Twist the spring to contract while pulling out.) The spring did leave some minor ripples that needed to be sanded out but it needed to be sanded to get rid of the scorching anyway. I used wooden inserts to stiffen and provide some meat for bracket screws. Those are still solid 10 years later with no maintenance required.

My most recent, and best overall has been sched.40 black iron pipe bent with a Harbor Freight pipe bender and welding on tight 90*s, brackets, and end caps from Wagner. The first angle is trial and error, but duplicate bends were achieved by measuring the distance from the top of the pipe to the top of the upper frame. 1/16" + or - and the angle is off, but is correctable. I fill voids with JB Weld and grind welds with a flap disc. The few loop returns I've done were made with 90*s.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Yes, I’m talking about hand rails.

If I had a welder and knew how to weld, the iron pipe might work. I’d have to keep after the painting though.
VH07V  
Lowes sells hand rails in Western Red Cedar.  It will probably last a long time.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-6-ft-Act...lsrc=aw.ds

The listing is not clear to me.  It appears to be $20.00 per 8 foot length.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-20-2021, 03:03 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Yes, I’m talking about hand rails.

If I had a welder and knew how to weld, the iron pipe might work. I’d have to keep after the painting though.

Good timing...

We have three sets of short stairs that have never had any hand rails.

We decided, for our safety, to put some up.

So, I called around to a number of welders to get prices on railings.

We chose the style on the net, and sent pictures to them.

The gent that we are hiring will build them after Labor Day, and have them powder coated in gloss black.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]