Assembling a drawer
Plywood bottoms can be glued in, but solid wood bottoms are never glued in.

Solid wood bottoms grain runs side to side, and the expansion is rearward. SW bottoms can be anchored to the front, the bottom expands over the back and slots are cut for screws.

If the drawer is loose or rattles, or the groove isn't deep enough, strips can be added underneath along the groove.
(08-19-2021, 08:36 PM)Gcook12 Wrote: I am restoring an old buffet. The bottom of a large drawer is made of quarter inch planks edge glued. I have glued the drawer back together but I am reluctant to glue the bottom back in. It slips in a groove but if I glue it back in I am afraid it will warp. I thought of just gluing the front but the front is curved. How should I attach it

A drawer bottom made of solid wood is never glued in. It needs to be free to expand and move.

You have choices: 

1. Have a deep front groove for expansion, and fix the rear with a screw.

2. Push the drawer bottom fully into the front groove and support the rear with a screw ... but add an expansion slot into the screw hole for movement towards the rear.

Here is the second choice, with a curved drawer front ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_33c670e1.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_m101d25ad.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_545bda83.jpg]

Oversized screw hole to allow for expansion ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_m4665e0d9.jpg]

Note that the grain of the drawer bottom runs across the drawer - expansion takes place across the grain.

Link:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/A...eDone.html

[Image: ApothecaryChestFinal_html_23b3cc36.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestFinal_html_172dc901.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com