Epoxy for inlay turning
Been reading and watching utube vids on turning using epoxy as filler in knoted or other voids. I'm not ready to go the stabilization route just looking for a good epoxy that can be tinted and turns well. 

Figure I'll need lots of practice before I ruin good stock.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(08-20-2021, 08:57 AM)firefighter Wrote: Been reading and watching utube vids on turning using epoxy as filler in knoted or other voids. I'm not ready to go the stabilization route just looking for a good epoxy that can be tinted and turns well. 

Figure I'll need lots of practice before I ruin good stock.

I use two part epoxy,that I get from LV. Mixes and tints well,also turns well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
For knots and small  voids, I use any clear 5 minute epoxy from a big box.  I’ve filled countless knots without issue.
(08-22-2021, 07:14 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: For knots and small  voids, I use any clear 5 minute epoxy from a big box.  I’ve filled countless knots without issue.

What Frank said works just as well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Been reading in my spare time. Looking at some of the stock I have saved there are several that have large cracks/voids that go about 3/4 of the way through. They vary from hairline to slightly larger than a sawblade. The splits running with the grain do not bother me as much as the ones that run across the grain. I have visions of this thing breaking in two in my face. Is it safe to turn epoxied stock?
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(08-22-2021, 10:04 AM)firefighter Wrote: Been reading in my spare time. Looking at some of the stock I have saved there are several that have large cracks/voids that go about 3/4 of the way through. They vary from hairline to slightly larger than a sawblade. The splits running with the grain do not bother me as much as the ones that run across the grain. I have visions of this thing breaking in two in my face. Is it safe to turn epoxied stock?

No answer, so here's my take.

Maybe.  But don't stand/lean into the disintegration zone, keep the toolrest close and listen carefully for clicks (of cracks) and re-glue them as encountered.

I'm a fan of green wood turning, so I seldom encounter such problems any more.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.