Tablesaw Placement in New Shop
Moved from SoCal to NC and am getting ready to build the shop. I’m trying to think through placement of the tablesaw so we can run the electrical conduit before pouring the slab. It will be in a 3 car garage that is 30’ deep. We do get some snow here each year, so I don’t think placing it 3’ inside the double roll up door is a great idea (worked great in SoCal) since large pieces would require me to have the door open for cuts. I am thinking about laying out the shop based on placement of the table saw (it’s not mobile). Appreciate any thoughts on where to think about placing, or not to place, to help in the planning.
I have most of a 2 car garage, and placed it more or less in the middle.    3 foot inside a door sounds a little close to a door to me.
I also have my table saw placed in the center. Shop is 24 x 26.
(08-22-2021, 07:12 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have most of a 2 car garage, and placed it more or less in the middle.    3 foot inside a door sounds a little close to a door to me.

I'm using roughly 16 x 24 of a two car garage, and put the tablesaw something around 10' in from the garage door.
(08-22-2021, 06:28 AM)jcredding Wrote: I am thinking about laying out the shop based on placement of the table saw (it’s not mobile). 

Make it mobile, and hang some pendants from the ceiling.  Use several, with the unused ones hung on hooks to keep them out of the way.  Being able to roll it around makes up for a lot of mistakes in locating it and the power outlet, which will be permanent if it’s coming up through the floor.

You can put more than one 240V receptacle on the same circuit, since they’re there to serve one machine, or one machine at a time at least.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My shop is 25'  deep to the back wall.  Overhead door on the front wall.  I put the front edge of my tablesaw 8 feet from the inside surface of the overhead door.  I can line up work pieces up to 8' long with the door closed; longer with the door open, of course.  I have ripped 14' long boards for my pergola with this setup.

Understand the suggestion about making the saw mobile.  However, that also means that dust collection will need to flex, or be removed from the saw if it is to be rolled about.
As TKDPE said, make it mobile, assuming technically you can do so (even the best mobile system like the sawstop one is not that expensive).

Place your saw such that your back is NOT facing the garage door, so when you're working with the door open, you don't get surprised when someone, a delivery man, neighbor's kid, etc., walks into your garage. The side facing is best for me as it may be too glary if you're facing the door. Remember to allow room for placing the outfeed table, which can be your mobile workbench.

I'd keep the saw or any machine that stands on the floor at least 8' from the door unless you always have the garage door down while woodworking or not. If you forget to shut the door and it rains, your machines have less chance of getting wet.

Make your big machines as well as your workbench mobile, so you won't get "stuck" if things don't work out. Which you can only tell AFTER you have used your new shop for a while. Also get as many 20amp outlets as you can and as spread out as possible in the shop.

Simon
(08-22-2021, 06:28 AM)jcredding Wrote: Moved from SoCal to NC and am getting ready to build the shop.  I’m trying to think through placement of the tablesaw so we can run the electrical conduit before pouring the slab.  It will be in a 3 car garage that is 30’ deep.  We do get some snow here each year, so I don’t think placing it 3’ inside the double roll up door is a great idea (worked great in SoCal) since large pieces would require me to have the door open for cuts.  I am thinking about laying out the shop based on placement of the table saw (it’s not mobile).  Appreciate any thoughts on where to think about placing, or not to place, to help in the planning.

HTC makes mobile bases for heavy equipment.
I have a Unisaw with 52” rails on one. It’s easy to lock in place and unlock to move when necessary.
My shop is 16’ X 32’ and the Uni is centered in the 16’ with double doors in front and a single behind the cast iron top.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I have mine in the middle with 12 feet open on either side. The 240V circuits and 6" DC pipe drop down from the ceiling inside a faux column so that there no cords across the floor.
My TS is in middle of shop. As others have mentioned, running DC and power along ceiling allows you to place machines anywhere and to change their position as your needs change.

[Image: IMG-1822.jpg]