Veritas Bullnose vs Veritas Trim plane
While working on a couple of recent projects a bullnose plane would have come in real handy, but I don't have one. So while looking through Lee Valley's offerings, I found that besides a bullnose plane they have something they call a Trim Plane. From their description, it seems to do pretty much the same things.
Has anyone used the Trim Plane and can compare it to the bullnose plane? I guess what I'm looking for is some opinions of the pluses and minuses of each, since its not in the budget to get both.
Thank you all in advance.
Do you have a shoulder plane? Can you do what you want to do with the toe (front) part of the shoulder plane removed (which can work like, but not exactly as, a bullnose?

Whether it's the bullose or chisel/trim plane, their use is pretty limited compared to a chisel or a shoulder plane. If one doesn't have a shoulder plane, that should be the tool to get before either the bullnose or the trim.

Between the bullnose and the trim, I'd pick the bullnose which is more functional and easier to control (given its smaller size) for smaller jobs or in tight corners. The downside as you may already knew is its higher price.

Simon
If you mean the "cabinetmaker's trimming plane," with the cutting iron exposed at the front, nothing in front of it, it might work.  But I tried modifying a broken block plane into a similar plane (by the way, these are frequently called "chisel planes"), and found it had a severe tendency to dive into the grain, because the lack of sole in front of the cutting edge means there's no resistance to that tendency.  I had far more control with a chisel held bevel down, which does the same thing for less money.

Yes, a chisel plane will let you get right into the corner, which a bullnose won't; but, again, so will a chisel.  If you can get just one, get the bullnose.

A lot of people think bullnose planes are unnecessary, but I find myself reaching for mine with some regularity.

By the way, Lee Valley lists the bullnose plane out of stock in both flavors (O1 cutting iron and PMV11 iron).  If you decide to shop for a used tool, the Stanley No. 90 or the Record bullnose planes are good tools.  If you find a Stanley No. 90J at a good price in good condition, and you're willing to learn how to set the iron by feel, that's a good tool also (at the moment, all of the listings on That Auction Site are in England, and thus pricey due to the shipping cost).  I actually prefer it to my Record plane, because it's easier to grip.  Do not - DO NOT - get a Stanley No. 75 bullnose plane unless you need a paperweight.

There's also the Clifton 3110 plane, which gives you a shoulder plane and a bullnose plane: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/3110-plane-clico Clifton historically had a great reputation; don't know how it is currently. It's available from multiple retailers; Woodcraft just came up first.
The bullnose plane is basically a shoulder plane. It can cut flush to the surface or it can cut to a depth if the iron is set that way. The bullnose plane is the more versatile of the two, because it has a mouth. You can remove the toe of the bullnose plane to get into corners. The only advantage I can see to the trim plane is it has a wider blade, which might come in handy if you're trying to remove glue squeezout in corners of a box.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-22-2021, 02:19 PM)AHill Wrote: The bullnose plane is basically a shoulder plane.
The bullnose doesn't have a large front toe as the shoulder; when good registration and control on the front is needed, the bullnose is inadequate. For certain tasks, the shoulder plane is best used with two hands, and a good shoulder plane like the veritas is designed exactly for that.

As I said, shoulder plane first, then, may be -- just may be -- the bullnose, which I've used, but never owned.

Simon
Thank you all for the opinions and comments in your replies.
As I expected there's a variety of opinions on the usefulness of a bullnose plane.
I do have a Veritas shoulder plane, and as useful as that is , it will not get me into a corner like a bullnose plane. I guess the question then becomes whether for the very few times where a bullnose plane will be useful, it is worth spending that much money when the job can be done with a chisel as well. I guess I have some more thinking to do.
Add me to the chisel camp.

With luck, may be you'd get a bullnose in one of the Cyber Sale events that Lee Valley Tools runs in the fall.

Simon
(08-22-2021, 06:16 PM)Master-of-None Wrote: Thank you all for the opinions and comments in your replies.
As I expected there's a variety of opinions on the usefulness of a bullnose plane.
I do have a Veritas shoulder plane, and as useful as that is , it will not get me into a corner like a bullnose plane. I guess the question then becomes whether for the very few times where a bullnose plane will be useful, it is worth spending that much money when the job can be done with a chisel as well. I guess I have some more thinking to do.

A bullnose plane will also not go fully into a corner. The body at the toe prevents this. Only a chisel plane will do this. However, as noted, a chisel plane has a tendency to dive, and therefore is not intended for planing more than a 1/2” or so. 

Better and cheaper than a chisel plane is a cranked chisel. I have the Veritas set, which is superb. But you generally only need one or two. They also excel in flushing off dowels, etc.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/too...blade-sets

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Also..note that on a Stanley #78...there is the front slot, to make it into a Bull nose plane...just move the iron to the front.   Only need one iron, it simply move to which ever "plane" you want...rebate,or Bullnose...BTDTGTTS
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The OP never states why he want's one or what task he needs it for. There's truth in all the responses.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill