Woodpeckers Rip-Flip Fence Stop System
Tapper
I suppose it "ain't a perfect world!"

Doug

That's why no matter how accurate a digital scale on the table saw was calibrated, it could throw my cuts off if I forgot to that very same tape that was used in the calibration process.

The fence stop or digital stop works well if you're in a production mode of repeating something cuts after cuts. I usually do one set of cuts with one fence setting before changing it for another set of cuts, and so I don't need to rely on repeating some setting on the fence. In the rare occasion that I do, I simply use a previously cut part to set the fence. It works 99.99% of the time for this amateur woodworker. If it didn't, a hand plane came to my rescue.

Simon
Not to beat a dead horse, but I looked at several digital tablesaw installation videos before deciding against one. IIRC they all came as kits with the scale included in the kit. The digital device was calibrated to the particular tape that came with it. After the calibration is done, you have your two reference points, the device and the scale and it doesn't matter if the scale is perfect or not. It's just a reference point. Who cares if the width of your board is .010 off width-wise as long as they are all the same?

Doug
This is one of those times my Incra table saw fence comes in handy. I have a dial calipers that I trust. I can calibrate the Incra fence to rip a 3" wide piece accurately using the calipers as a reference. Now the fence is dialed in. I can rip longer pieces on the fence that I can compare against my most trusted tape measure to insure it is accurate. Now I can use that tape measure to insure my other tapes are accurate as well.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(09-03-2021, 05:42 AM)KyleD Wrote: Now I can use that tape measure to insure my other tapes are accurate as well.

This is exactly my point.

Unless you have measuring tapes identical to the digital scale or the tape on the table saw and (remember to) use ONLY those tapes in your shop, a dead-on accurate scale on the saw fence (tuned to one of the tapes) means little.

And that also means you need to check your tapes from time to time to ensure they do stay identical. Tapes don't necessarily stay the same as they are used (sprung back), dropped, etc.

Some people may argue that it isn't critical in woodworking if the variance among tapes is 1/136" or whatever. I fully agree, and if so, why the need for a caliper-based calibrated scale on the saw in the first place? Woodworkers don't need that kind of precision at all. Some tool/gadget manufacturers have done a good job in persuading how woodworkers should behave in their shops.

Simon
(09-03-2021, 08:22 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: This is exactly my point.

Unless you have measuring tapes identical to the digital scale or the tape on the table saw and (remember to) use ONLY those tapes in your shop, a dead-on accurate scale on the saw fence means little.

And that also means you need to check your tapes from time to time to ensure they do stay identical. Tapes don't necessarily stay the same as they are used (sprung back), dropped, etc.

Some people may argue that it isn't critical in woodworking if the variance among tapes is 1/136" or whatever. I fully agree, and if so, why the need for a caliper-based calibrated scale on the saw in the first place? Woodworkers don't need that kind of precision at all. Some tool/gadget manufacturers have done a good job in persuading how woodworkers should behave in their shops.

Simon

Sorry Simon,

I've just NEVER had the difference in scales/tapes on any instruments in my shop be a serious problem when doing woodworking. I haven't done museum quality projects but still take pride in my work. Many other problems have arisen in my memory, rather than a disparity of scales/tapes.

Doug
(09-03-2021, 08:33 AM)Tapper Wrote: Sorry Simon,

I've just NEVER had the difference in scales/tapes on any instruments in my shop be a serious problem when doing woodworking. I haven't done museum quality projects but still take pride in my work. Many other problems have arisen in my memory, rather than a disparity of scales/tapes.

Doug

Ok, Doug. Let's accept your point for a moment that only museum quality stuff needs a machinist's kind of precision and accuracy (which isn't really true anyway).

So are we saying here that those who've installed the digital scale or the Incra system on their saws usually build gallery level pieces?

Disparity of tapes is a real and practical issue in a typical shop. Take, for example, cutting an inset drawer front to fit into a drawer opening. If you use one tape to measure the width of the opening, and take that reading to set the fence using the scale on the saw, there's a risk that the front would cut a little too wide (good - as you can recut) or too short (a no-no). Even worse, if I used one tape's reading to set the saw with the saw's scale for a rip cut, and then used another tape's reading for some other crosscuts. Mixing tapes in the same project is asking for unnecessary trouble.

What would I do? I'd either use a story stick, or take the tape to the saw and use the tape to set the fence.

I do have two tapes out of many that are in alignment with the table saw, but they're slightly off from the scale on the miter saw. See my dilemma, and why I don't think a super-accurate scale on the table saw is really essential for me (or any typical woodworker who uses more than one tape in the shop).

Simon
Simon,

You can have the rest of this one. I'm tired of beating this "dead horse."

Doug
(08-31-2021, 02:56 PM)EdL Wrote: Sorry for not checking back in.

My Unifence was purchasd in 2007 or close, I put it on a 79 vintage Unisaw.

Ed

Ed,  What is the brand name of the fence stop?
I emailed Woodpeckers to ask if they plan to have a Rip-Flip Fence Stop System available for a Delta Unisaw with the Unifence and they said not at this time.

It was included with the fence kit...looked on line and not available anywhere.

Ed