Bora Portamate - PM - P254
Anyone have one of these or any experience with it to let me know if it is worth the price?  Right now they are $219.99 at Woodcraft.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1622786406]

Bora Portamate - PM-P254 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Motor
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I purchased one about a month ago for a public shop I run, our Porter Cable died and I didn't want to replace the speed control circuit board again. That seems to be a weak point in them. I found the Bora to be well machined and seemed like good quality. It's quieter than the Porter Cable and the soft start was a bit more gentle I thought. Since Porter Cable stopped producing the 4.2 inch diameter router the selection is a bit thinner out there and several models like the Milwaukee were out of stock everywhere I looked.  Since we have about 150 members it gets used close to a couple of hours a day. So far it has held up with no issues. I wish I had a longer run to tell you about but that's as long as we've had it. 

Paul
Bel Air, MD
Can you keep us posted Paul? Since the PC aren't available anymore, we will need to be replacing ours as they die. The Bora Portamate looks like a good substitute.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
It’s being replaced /superseded by a new model - hence the close out price.
(08-27-2021, 01:43 AM)PaulM85 Wrote: I purchased one about a month ago for a public shop I run, our Porter Cable died and I didn't want to replace the speed control circuit board again. That seems to be a weak point in them. I found the Bora to be well machined and seemed like good quality. It's quieter than the Porter Cable and the soft start was a bit more gentle I thought. Since Porter Cable stopped producing the 4.2 inch diameter router the selection is a bit thinner out there and several models like the Milwaukee were out of stock everywhere I looked.  Since we have about 150 members it gets used close to a couple of hours a day. So far it has held up with no issues. I wish I had a longer run to tell you about but that's as long as we've had it. 

Paul
Bel Air, MD

Thank you Paul for that info!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop