sizing cabinet for double wall oven
Posting this outside my "kitchen build thread" (in Home Improvement) for general interest.

This image shows the cutout dimensions for a double wall oven.
Note the dimensions I've circled in red and green.

On the right side of the image, circled in red it shows 1.5" min and green shows 2.0" minimum.

Presumably this equates to the size of the overlap at top and bottom of the face of the oven, which will sit up against the face frames. Or are these numbers larger than the overlap to retain some visible face frame?

Dimension B (the outer face) is 50-7/16 and dimension of the unit itself (the part that slides inside the cabinet opening) is 48-7/16 which means in total the front of the oven is only 2 inches taller than the opening.  Is it 1" on top and bottom or some other split? How can I tell?

Basically I'm trying to plan for the visible portion of the face-frames to be consistent in width between the appliances, while allowing for the necessary overlap..  Similar, if dimension C is 28-1/4 and dimension A is 30, that would mean that the face of the oven overlaps the face-frame on the left and right by 7/8".. right?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-26-2021, 09:02 AM)mound Wrote: I just removed a 24" oven and installed a 27".  I don't think there is any overlap of the oven cabinet on the bottom.  I think there is a metal piece of angle trim that covers the plywood base (or whatever).  The bottom of the oven sits flat on the floor of the rough out opening.  The trim is the last thing you put on.  At least that is the way mine was.  The rough out opening has min and max sizes.  I used min.  My oven slid right in.  Mine had a curved hood  which covered up the rough opening.  So the hood covered more in the middle than it did on the edges.  Make sure you mount your electrical in the location shown on the plans.  Also use a string to hold up the armored power cord when you slide the oven in.  Adhere to the minimum side and rear clearances.  These allow for airflow around the cabinet to keep the oven and the electronics cool.  I think the face frame minimum above the hood on the rough cut out is to prevent pinches when opening the upper cabinet.
Worrying about the amount of faceframe between appliances is something you're just going to have to figure out yourself.  In one week, not even you will notice if its a half inch or so different.

Posting this outside my "kitchen build thread" (in Home Improvement) for general interest.

This image shows the cutout dimensions for a double wall oven.
Note the dimensions I've circled in red and green.

On the right side of the image, circled in red it shows 1.5" min and green shows 2.0" minimum.

Presumably this equates to the size of the overlap at top and bottom of the face of the oven, which will sit up against the face frames. Or are these numbers larger than the overlap to retain some visible face frame?

Dimension B (the outer face) is 50-7/16 and dimension of the unit itself (the part that slides inside the cabinet opening) is 48-7/16 which means in total the front of the oven is only 2 inches taller than the opening.  Is it 1" on top and bottom or some other split? How can I tell?

Basically I'm trying to plan for the visible portion of the face-frames to be consistent in width between the appliances, while allowing for the necessary overlap..  Similar, if dimension C is 28-1/4 and dimension A is 30, that would mean that the face of the oven overlaps the face-frame on the left and right by 7/8".. right?

Thanks!
thanks!
Mound, 

In case you didn't know, there are free standing ranges with double ovens.

We have one, made by Samsung.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage....Categories
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I just replaced a double oven with a single. As the previous post stated the bottom does not overlap.
The side is very small. i am happy top post a picture if that would be helpful.
PJ
Plympton, MA
(09-02-2021, 04:22 PM)barnowl Wrote: Mound, 

In case you didn't know, there are free standing ranges with double ovens.

We have one, made by Samsung.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage....Categories

Thanks! Yah, LOML has seen those, but says the 2nd oven in such units is too small.
(09-02-2021, 09:25 PM)pjohnson Wrote: I just replaced a double oven with a single. As the previous post stated the bottom does not overlap.
The side is very small. i am happy top post a picture if that would be helpful.

Interesting.  So it's just a trim piece at the bottom to close any gap?
The 1.5 and 2” gaps are there so the hot oven(s) don’t cook, melt, or burn the cabinet door, drawer front , or panels.
(09-03-2021, 06:09 AM)mound Wrote: Interesting.  So it's just a trim piece at the bottom to close any gap?

Correct
PJ
Plympton, MA
(09-09-2021, 08:45 AM)pjohnson Wrote: Correct

Well...................kinda, sorta, sometimes not.

It depends on the exact oven.   Sometimes there is a "trim" piece and sometimes there is not. 

On some ovens the "trim" piece extends below the oven cutout, and with others it is flush with the bottom.  On some Euro brands , there is no trim piece and the door bottom is above the floor of the cutout.

So there is not a cut and dried "rule" to follow.   You've got to know what oven you're dealing with and what kind of look you're shooting for.