Found a 6 inch Combination Square!
Has anyone seen this on the ends of the rulers? It looks machined.  I first thought it was a good place for a pencil bit the pencil tips are variable so that's not a good idea.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
That's what it is for, a pencil. It's supposed to offset the pencil lead thickness when scribing a line.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Nice find
I have both 6 inch and 4 inch Starrett combination squares.
Come in very handy.
Yeah, you can angle the pencil a little in or out depending on how sharp the tip is to align right to the end of the rule.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I have tried that but I think this design leaves too much for a pencil to wander...so it seems worse that the regular kind. I am still considering a woodpeckers one for the accuracy making layout lines. I don't mind having multiple squares.
My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1547881223]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-30-2021, 09:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

I have I think 4 combination squares. Only one scribe is still there.  

I did have a chance to actually put this to use yesterday.  It's not as bad as I thought once you get adjusted to it. I measure, the slide the notched part to where my pencil is.  The ruler slides easily.  Then I can move the square with the pencil in place.  Not perfect but better then the ones without.  It does give a place for the pencil for registration.
(08-30-2021, 09:54 AM)Cooler Wrote: My Starrett combination square came with a scriber.  I would guess that is calibrated to use with such a scriber.  The modern versions do not have that notch and still comes with a scriber.  So maybe my guess if full of it.  It is held in place by a friction fit.  Mine is always falling out and going missing.  When it finally disappears I will not replace it.

I have 7 combination squares, 4 were inherited. 12" , two 6" and a either a 3" or 4"  are Starrett. I do not recall which size is the Starrett.  The remaining are good quality but not as hefty as the Starretts.
mike