Shed base that doesn't become a critter habitat
I'm going to build a shed (maybe an Arrow metal shed) and will probably put it on leveled-out cinder blocks.  What do you use at the perimeter to prevent critters/snakes from nesting underneath?  Is 1/4" wire mesh durable enough?

I remember as a kid my Dad camping out in his home office that faced the garden so he could snipe the groundhog that ate up our garden before scurrying under the shed next to the garden.  It's still funny to me, but my Dad doesn't remember it the same way.

Thanks,
Paul
(08-29-2021, 10:56 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I'm going to build a shed (maybe an Arrow metal shed) and will probably put it on leveled-out cinder blocks.  What do you use at the perimeter to prevent critters/snakes from nesting underneath?  Is 1/4" wire mesh durable enough?

I remember as a kid my Dad camping out in his home office that faced the garden so he could snipe the groundhog that ate up our garden before scurrying under the shed next to the garden.  It's still funny to me, but my Dad doesn't remember it the same way.

Thanks,
Paul

I don't know if 1/4" wire mesh will keep snakes out but it has kept mice and larger critters from getting under my shed.  I stapled it behind holes drilled in a 2x4 cut to fit between the ends of the 4x4 base beams of the shed.  

[Image: AM-JKLW7FlaUY0F98a0i2bTRF5njiNeU_fAhx4YH...authuser=0]

Three years now and no unwanted residents.  Note the shed is built on a packed gravel base.  If it were sitting directly on grass you would have to bury the wire mesh pretty deep to keep a determined woodchuck out.  

John
The local shed builders with wood sheds have recommended using hardware cloth for this.
They recommended against boxing in the base more in order to allow enough ventilation so the base and floor last.
When I built our chicken coop, the hardware cloth does keep out rats.... until they burrow under, so there is that...

I've been looking at this recently as well, so will be interested to see what other people have had success with.

Matt
My next door neighbor hosts all the groundhogs under his shed.

I figured there was no hope so my shed has a gravel floor.