Recreating Outdoor Table . . .
My wife and I saw this outdoor table recently.  We were told that it cost $35,000 retail!
I'm guessing it's teak or some other very expensive wood?  But am I correct that the construction is likely as straightforward as it looks?  Join the boards together and cut large tenons in the legs and through mortises in the top?

[Image: 51413382054_22ec951eef_c.jpg]

[Image: 51412890558_49abae5ef2_c.jpg]

[Image: 51413382099_969f248bd7_c.jpg]

I think the set is actually $5k, the other $30k is for shipping and handling...
Cool looking table and benches. Yeh. It looks like the joinery is pretty straight forward. It looks like it may be borderline doable in a typical home shop just because of the size. My concerns would have to do with fastening. It looks like it is all glue-up. I guess, with a good exterior glue, it would be OK. I would be concerned about wood movement of those large timbers. I don't think I would do the through tenon. It just invites water intrusion. I think the key to success is to select good quality, straight grain, properly dried wood of an appropriate species. Avoid something like pressure treated pine.
Those through tenons look like they will split the top like a maul when they swell.
(08-30-2021, 09:57 AM)FS7 Wrote: Those through tenons look like they will split the top like a maul when they swell.

If the grain of the legs runs in the same direction as the top then the top won't split.  It seems like the builder knew that because the table looks aged yet hasn't split.  

The construction looks straight forward but I'll second the opinion that this would be a difficult project just because of how much the parts would weigh.  

John