Flushometer problems
In our office, our flushometer has been replaced 3 times in the last 3 years.  It was acting up again last Friday.  It appeared that there was no water pressure to the flushometer, but the sink had good water pressure.

There are four bathrooms in a line.  The office bathroom.  About 15 feet away is the factory management's bathroom.  Adjacent to that is the women's factory bathroom and finally the men's factory bathroom. 

So when the water pressure dropped in the office bathroom last Friday, I went out to see if there was pressure in the other bathrooms.  I flushed the urninal in the men's room and it flushed with far more gusto and noise and for a very long time--probably close to a full minute.  I was concerned that it would not shut off.  But after that the pressure to the flushometer in the office bathroom resumed and it was working fine.

This morning the RotoRooter plumber showed up and he is replacing the flushometer.  It seems to me that something far more fundamental is wrong here.

Could this be a venting issue?   Or an air-trapped-in-the-pipes issue?  I don't really understand how the venting works.  The building was erected in 1951 and the plumbing is original to the building.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Drainage and venting will have zero impact on flush valve performance. Water quality can impact the life of internal components, IMO worse than the same components from years ago. There is also the “ swap the unit instead of diagnosing and repairing” mentality that may be in play.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

You might also check the water pressure after the regulator.  We had one on our office building go bad.  Toilets making odd noises (more than usual).  The landlord said that he had replaced the regulator just a few years ago so that couldn't be it.   

Finally had the regulator checked and that was the problem.  Odd symptoms.
Perhaps the long flushing urinal was in play. Could it have finished just as you were checking the sink, or was the long flushing due to low flow or pressure? If flow and pressure are o.k., long flushing is usually due to the bypass orifice that allows water pressure to shut the valve off being partially clogged. If the wrong parts were installed, they could be adjusted to perform as desired but the valve would be temperamental to changes in flow and/or pressure.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
There are different diaphragms for stools and urinals. Make sure you use the correct one. Also parts can break off the diaphragm causing long flushes. I’d change out the diaphragm and while you’re at it put in a handle rebuild kit. Parts for everything are about $30.
VH07V  
(09-01-2021, 03:11 PM)DustyDan Wrote: You might also check the water pressure after the regulator.  We had one on our office building go bad.  Toilets making odd noises (more than usual).  The landlord said that he had replaced the regulator just a few years ago so that couldn't be it.   

Finally had the regulator checked and that was the problem.  Odd symptoms.

A real plumber came in yesterday and checked the incoming water pressure.  It was at 150 psi, about twice what it should be.  We have a pressure regulator on our building but apparently those wear out. 

No shutoff valve from the city water lines to our building.  The plumber is going to have to replace the valve "on the fly".  I've seen that done.  And even if the plumber is very, very good, there is going to be a lot of water on the floor.
(09-02-2021, 07:15 AM)Cooler Wrote: A real plumber came in yesterday and checked the incoming water pressure.  It was at 150 psi, about twice what it should be.  We have a pressure regulator on our building but apparently those wear out. 

No shutoff valve from the city water lines to our building.  The plumber is going to have to replace the valve "on the fly".  I've seen that done.  And even if the plumber is very, very good, there is going to be a lot of water on the floor.

I can't imagine doing that with 150 psi unless he freezes the pipe.    When he does that he should install a shut off valve with it.  Roly
Maybe they did install a shut-off the last time.  If they did, this is an easy job.  Plus they have to replace the flushometer.  Those things are not cheap. 

I just walked into the utilities room.  There appears to be two shut-off valves in-line.  One has an orange handle and the other has a blue handle.  I'm not sure why.  There is also a water meter inline and a pressure regulator. 

The pressure regulator is probably 8 to 10 years old.  We've been going through flushometers for the past three years.  It seems that the pressure regulator lasts about 7 years.